Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losing charge?

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
Onto this week’s problem…

I had a problem with that wire to the alternator burning out like has happened to so many of us. I fixed it up and it was all good for a while, but I started to lose charge and if I left the car in the garage for the weekend, it’d be pretty much flat. I replaced the regulator on the alternator and it fixed up immediately. However…now it seems to be doing it again.

On the advice of a mechanic I tested to see if anything was taking charge from the battery when the car was off, but measured almost nothing. Also tested the alternator and it was giving out about 14 V, which is about right.

I have two-month-old battery, but it has been subjected to some trauma after I arced it with a spanner (see this post http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vr-vs-holden-commodore-1993-1997/107333-pipe-identification.html).

Any ideas? Although I am slowly becoming an expert on VS commodores, this car is starting to really give me the…

Cheers.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
May have shorted a cell in the battery or distorted the plates when it shorted...this will reduce the capacity of the battery to hold charge - next time you leave it for a week disconnect the battery and see if it goes flat - if it does, see if you can get a replacement under warranty. Good Luck.
ps...don't mention it got shorted if claiming under warranty!

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
if everything else is fine get a new battery, if its only 2 months old should have a warranty

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
Yeah, its got a 12 monther, I was thinking that – if I can find the receipt...

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
you tested properly for current drain(took the terminal off the battery post and seriesd the meter inline with the cct), not just measred volts across the battery, yeah. If so thenyeah new battery.

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
you tested properly for current drain(took the terminal off the battery post and seriesd the meter inline with the cct), not just measred volts across the battery, yeah. If so thenyeah new battery.

Yeah, my bro tested it for me and he's an electronic tech, he was pretty adamant that it was taking no charge. We put the meter in-between the lead and battery.

He said the interior light took 10 times the charge the car was taking before we turned it on, which is only a few milliamps.

It sounds like the battery then I guess...

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
yep fair chance its the battery then.