Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loud knocking noise coming from idler pulleys? Possible tear in crankshaft 98 VT V6

MattyZero

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Hey guys just posting here asking for some help, the other day I started my VT up only to hear this terrible knocking noise coming from the engine, I opened the bonnet and the noise is deffinatley coming from the front of the engine and sounds like it could be an idler pulley but I noticed this tear that I hadnt seen before in the crankshaft could this be the problem? and how much would it cost to buy this part and would it be easier enough for me to replace myself? I have limited knowledge of engineering but I know enough to get by. The noise goes away when I accelerate but when I slow down it returns.

Here is the tear in question.

300vdxv.jpg

Please help guys I need this car for work and my other car is way to unreliable at the moment.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
The actual part name you are looking for is "Harmonic Balancer" get it sorted SOON before you do damage.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
if doing it yourself, either take a picture or make sure there is still a diagram of the belt path under the hood you can follow

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
About $100 would be a fair price for labour but who knows. It would take about an hour if you were doing it for the first time, quicker if your were a mechanic.
If you are at all mechanically minded, get a puller and a workshop manual and do it yourself, it is not that difficult once you get the bolt off the crankshaft that is.

MattyZero

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Thanks guys youve been alot of help, ill probably go the do-it-myself route, do you reckon picking up a VY balancer at the wreckers would be a good idea? or would it just be a waste because it would wear out soon. And im not doing any damage as im not driving it while its like this.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Look you could pick up a VY no problem but it's always better to replace old with new in this instance. Guess it depends on how tight money is. VY one might go for years!