Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low tyre pressure warning-who has it?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Keyless entry has a bunch of sensors within the vehicle that is used to pick up the key fob signal and determine its distance from the car. If you are close to the door, you can press the silver button on the drivers door handle and enter but if you are too far away and the car is already unlocked, the car locks.

These keyfob sensors are also used to pick up the TPMS signal coming from each wheel sensor valve. So the TPMS system requires the keyless entry feature is factory installed before considering if TPMS was factory installed. And if one has keyless entry, IIUC adding TPMS is reletively simple and requires wheel sensors valves be fitted (obviously this requires the tyre off the rim) and a BCM software hockie pockie mod.

IIUC, TPMS is a legal requirement in new cars within the USA. Downunder not so much as the powers to be consider we should get down and dirty to check out tire pressures.

After market TPMS units are available but not as elegant as the factory fitted job.

TPMS only uses one of the remote sensors and that is the door remote button unlock not the passive sensor that is in the car. The sensor is in the boot of the sedan and Australian car are transmitted at 433Mhz

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ actually, according to the workshop manual, the RCDLR is located under the rear window trim panel near the Keyless Entry Control Module which is also under the same trim panel. There is a sensor inside the boot, just ahead of the spare tyre, which is the Ignition Lock Key Transmitter Antenna.

But I'm not 100% familiar with how all the remote features work as I've only read the workshop manual and the pdf version i have is missing info. No doubt the online version accessable by the deaelr has much more that hasnt made it to the pdf version :oops:

To be honest, there are more sensors than i thought but it's always good to be reminded that the frequency is 433MHz downunder so thanks. Now i must get off my rear and spend around 20 or so $ and pick up a TPMS programing tool.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
An easy way to check if you have factory tyre pressure monitors fitted to the wheels, is, the valve....If it is rubber, it won't have tyre pressure monitors fitted.....If it is plastic or metal (more alloy), good chance it will have tyre pressure monitors

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
when you start your car the warning lights illuminate , I'm pretty sure its the tyre cross section with the exclamation mark if you have it
tpsm.jpg

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
An easy way to check if you have factory tyre pressure monitors fitted to the wheels, is, the valve....If it is rubber, it won't have tyre pressure monitors fitted.....If it is plastic or metal (more alloy), good chance it will have tyre pressure monitors
Not always alloy. The WM/WN had rubber type valves which were the previous type of TPMS valves used by GM.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ actually, according to the workshop manual, the RCDLR is located under the rear window trim panel near the Keyless Entry Control Module which is also under the same trim panel. There is a sensor inside the boot, just ahead of the spare tyre, which is the Ignition Lock Key Transmitter Antenna.

But I'm not 100% familiar with how all the remote features work as I've only read the workshop manual and the pdf version i have is missing info. No doubt the online version accessable by the deaelr has much more that hasnt made it to the pdf version :oops:

To be honest, there are more sensors than i thought but it's always good to be reminded that the frequency is 433MHz downunder so thanks. Now i must get off my rear and spend around 20 or so $ and pick up a TPMS programing tool.

Actually you are correct. the sensor in the boot after the spare tyre is for vehicles with keyless start. The RCDLR has always been in the rear parcel shelf. The TPMS programming tool is great once you work out how to hold the tool against the tyre for it to work.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Not always alloy. The WM/WN had rubber type valves which were the previous type of TPMS valves used by GM.

'E series' HSV's also used rubber stems on cars fitted with TPMS.

20140314_172031.jpg

athol66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
when you start your car the warning lights illuminate , I'm pretty sure its the tyre cross section with the exclamation mark if you have it
View attachment 203854
Thanks my car definitely does not have the warning system. There is a gap in that display on starting where the icon would be.