Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lower on left..

VY03Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Can some1 help, i got my car recently SSL kings in the rear on my VY Calais and iv noticed that the left side it noticabley lower 1-2 cms the car is sitting lower than the rims when the right side it sitting perfectly mid tyre.. any ideas?

VTPREDATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SPORTSWAGON
id also like to know. mine does it too. only in the rear. gonna try and get a new diff cradle. possibly kinked.

tyrone

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH caprice , 2010 Holden CDX Cruze
mine is the same to lol

Dan VS 231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Senator
Could be some compensation for the driver or fuel tank maybe?

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
You havent put the spring in upside down have u?
Also check ur rear tyre pressure's.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
You will not get an exact matched height either side front or rear - there will always be some slight variation but just a few mms. However the difference should never be as much as 1-2 cms each side.

I would suggest the springs used are of questionable quality and that the spring rate is different on each side. (If you did not have the problem with the previous spring "balance" on the car, and you have changed nothing else, then surely the new ones are the culprit). If the spring compression is greater on one side than the other because of badly matched or manufactured springs (and it probably is) then you will obviously get a greater drop on one side of the car.

As you say it has been done recently I would be going back to the fitter and asking for the job to be rectified. Just don't let them get away with some BS story that what you have is normal and within acceptable tolerances because it is not if you have such a great variation in height. They will also try to fob you off with a story about the springs settling. If the springs were of identical spec each side then they will settle at the same rate also and you would not get such a wide difference.

VTPREDATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SPORTSWAGON
i tried 2 sets of springs, both were the same afterwards. couldnt remember wat the standard was like. :S

vysute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 Utility 2004
mine does it too, but only since i jacked up one side of the car and not the other at the same time, my mate said that it can make the springs go wierd, he may be wrong but it seems to have happened lol.

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
make sure u put the springs in the same, twist them around so there both got the cut bit facing the front, fixed mine

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
i tried 2 sets of springs, both were the same afterwards. couldn't remember what the standard was like. :S

I suggest the springs are suspect if you are getting 1-2 cm variance side to side, and assuming nothing else has been modified and the springs have been seated correctly.

I have standard Fe2 suspension on my car (untouched) and I did a quick measure on each rear side after the car had been sitting quite a few hours. The difference in height from a bottom point of the rear wheel arch panel to the centre of the wheel on each side only varied side to side by about 4 mm which is not unusual. I have never found them to be precisely the same to the last mm on Commodores. On my car the passenger side rear is sitting very slightly higher at the measuring point than the drivers side rear and I have nearly a 7/8 full tank of fuel. The difference side to side is so small it is not discernible to the eye.

Yes the springs have to settle after you have jacked up the body but I have done this numerous times on my car on all 4 corners and have not had height balance issues or spring distortion afterwards.

I have also had low springs fitted on a few previous commodores and have never had any height balance issues or any spring distortion due to jacking the body. ( If you get distortion or other problems I would seriously question the quality of the springs).

With springs you get what you pay for. It would be interesting to know if anyone has had the height imbalance problem complained of here with Pedders lowered rear springs.