Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering a VT II

RichardW

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been getting some quotes on lowering my car and the prices differ greatly. If I supply my own springs and get someone to fit them, they are charging an arm and a leg for it.

Prices for lowering, includes parts, labour, alignment. (Sydney)
Jax Kensington qutoed $550
Midas Kensingon quoted $440
Pedders Granville quoted $550.
None of these include the Camber Kit. Price went up to $750 (Midas) and $840 (Pedders and Jax)

There is a couple of questions I have.
1. Does anyone know of a good mechanic in Sydney that will fit the springs? (If I supply) Midas will not do fit only. Jax and Pedders quoted $250 - $300 for labour. To me this sounds very expensive considering how easy the job is. I would do it myself but would rather pay someone who knows what they are doing.

2. Is the Camber kit really that necessary? Pedders told me that they slightly reduced inner tire wear but did not stop it totally. Has anyone lowered their car with a camber kit and with out and noticed any big differences?

3. What if I put in the FE2 springs? Will the standard shocks need replacing also?

Any help is appreciated

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
those quotes are pretty steep man...i only paid $300 for superlow kings supplied fitted and aligned.
i cant help you out with anywhere good in sydney to go (after all i live in brisbane), try bob jane or somewhere similar..they usually charge by the hour.
failing that ask your mates if they know a good mechanic and see how much he'll charge to do it.
personally i think it would be unwise not to get a camber kit...its not just the tires that are affected.
as for the shocks with fe2's..it depends how your shocks are, fe2 isnt low so short travel shocks wont be neccessary, but they are stiffer, so some good shocks will improve the ride.

enviousent

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
im down in melb and when i lowered my vt i got the camber and all, off memory i think it cost me about $850 all up

mistaken

... pimpin it VT stylez
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
FYI they charge an arm and leg for fitting stuff you supplied, because they aren't making money off the product markup.

E.g. They sell you suspension for $1000 + $100 labour. The parts are probably costing them $800, so overall they are charging you $300 labour (but only list $1000 + $100).
If YOU supply the parts, and they charge $100, they are losing out. So they charge the ~$300 to do so, and clear their profit margin.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
heh, 300 for labour including the camber kit fitted isnt bad, thats a hell job in itself.