Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering By Cutting Springs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
As the title quotes.

Recently I have been offered a lowering job done for free by cutting the springs down by 1-2 coils.

I know this isnt safe and/or roadworthy but would it be worth doing?

The car is a VT V6 with standard springs/suspension, standard bumpers/sideskirts.

Has anyone done this before? If so what difference did you notice in handling?
Worse handling? better handling? Tire wear?

and how low did you go?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Do a search. Bad idea and is illegal. Your insurance company will have something to say about it too.

Reaper

skyper

SKYPER
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
their is nothing wrong with cutting springs provided u no what u r doing ,well yes it might no be illegal,but an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel will cut them like cheese,the problem is when u cut to much of them and every time u jack the car up they fall out of place,so u have to know what u r doing,they handle better than standed they dont break ,their just shorter of cause real lowered springs r the way to go because they can tell u how much they will lower your car ,where as cutting is somtimes a bit at a time ,2 coils will drop a commodore 50 mill or 2 and a half inches easily,i have driven cars 4 30 years will cut springs with not one problem,if a spring is a different size from top to bottom u need an oxy but if u dont know what u r doing don't start,and rember it is illegal

VSteve

Reaction score
If you cut your springs don't bother paying your insurance because it will be void. Seriously springs are $130 a pair these days and if you shop around or get second hand ones it will cost you even less. Why risk it to save a couple of hundred bucks? Also you can't cut the rear springs on a VT as the coil tapers inwards on the top and bottom of the spring.

elemeNtz

It's my first day :3
Reaction score
Members Ride
responsibly
If you cut your springs don't bother paying your insurance because it will be void. Seriously springs are $130 a pair these days and if you shop around or get second hand ones it will cost you even less. Why risk it to save a couple of hundred bucks? QUOTE]
exactly right:thumbsup:

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Do a search. Bad idea and is illegal. Your insurance company will have something to say about it too.

Reaper

Agreed.
As far as i'm concerned anyone who condones cutting springs is a fool, you're a danger to yourself and others on the road.

lumina01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SSV UTE

wouldnt do it, stupid idea.
last week i pulled into a servo and there was a bloke there asking if he could borrow my jack, wheel brace etc.
asked what happened "my cut spring popped out and cut a hole in my tyre".
think about what would happen going 100 on the freeway?

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Seriously can we ban all members that suggest cutting springs. We all know how stupid and dangerous it is, yet we still get people who suggest it.
Its like giving a kid a plastic bag and telling him to go play, you cant suffocate from plastic bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.