Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering Regrets

Robbo1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Holden VS s pak series 3
Hi, my story starts like more red P platers. I lowered my car without any regard for my ride. I might as well we riding on bricks.
I have a 1999 holden vs ute and i lowered it on to ssl kingsprings in the back and sl kingsprings in the front.
i love the look of the car with the hieght that it is sitting at currently but desperately want to improve my ride. When i lowered my car originally i didnt change the shocks ( i know i should have). Can anyone please tell me the best options to improve my ride.

Cheers

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
1: raise it back up a bit higher.
2: spend more $$ and complete the job by putting in correct shocks for those size springs.
3: spend even more $$$$ and go pedders sports ryder springs shocks, any bushes that need doing and a whiteline or equivalent adjustable panhard rod.

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
Should have gone to specsavers

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I can only imagine riding a brick is not very comfortable, personally I've never tried it (even when i had red P's)

Your standard shocks won't be doing to much when you hit another brick on the road, the upward motion of the suspension when the wheel moves towards the car body is absorbed by the spring (sometimes when double action shockers are installed, but majority is the spring), what the shock absorber is really there for is to remove to opposite reaction of the spring expanding.

so perhaps you need some springs that aren't as stiff and allow some suspension travel before the moving parts hit the bump stops and send the force through the rest of the car.

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
OP :- remove the gear you have installed & get some xyz coil overs from Chris at Performance Suspension 0422 224 666.

SV6SIDI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV REDLINE, FG XR6 TURBO
i did the exact same thing when i got my calais. needed it lowered asap and got some king spring superlows all round. ride was horrible. ended up taking them out and got h&r springs with bilstein shocks. rides better than stock now , very comfy ride and only slightly higher in the rear not that noticeable though compared to the king springs.

Holdenman

Modified
Reaction score
Website
www.holden.itgo.com
Members Ride
VR SS 5.0
Springs, shocks, bump stops, bushes and steering geometry is what makes the ride and handling bearable. Each of them must mate with the other part for it to work.
You are now transferring that bad ride throughout the car and if you haven't already done so you may notice things may break, crack or dislodge themselves, do yourself and the car a favor and do it asap.

mechatron

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY SS
Keep the King springs, add some Bilstein B8 shocks and if required change your bushes (stick to rubber bushes in most places) and job done. The Bilstein B8 shocks are specifically for lowered springs so you'll still get a comfortable ride even with your car so low

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Check if your springs are HD (heavy duty) these are stiffer them normal eg KRL46-SSSL HD is harder then KRL-46 SSSL springs. Then buy good shocks and look at worn bushings

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Over the years Ive seen lots of cars that didnt have one rattle or squeak, get knocked around a lot by lowering them. Within a few months they end up full of rattles and squeaks etc due to the harsher ride, especially with the pathetically rough roads we have to drive on...