Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering sv6 shocks question

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
i dropped by tyre factory recently, the bloke i spoke to said if i want to go superlow kings i won't need to change the shocks and even if i did the ride quality wouldn't improve is this true? seems a bit off because i've read that the shocks will blow out pretty quickly

not out for performance but i want to lose minimal ride quality

thanks in advance

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
Standard shocks will be fine, if your after lowering on a budget, unless your planning track days and some other real suspension torture the shocks should hold up.

I have done 60 000KM since i put ssl all round and and the shocks have held up fine. Not sure how much longer they will hold up but im not to worried, when the let go simply upgrade shocks then so i dont see it a real issue.

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
Standard shocks will be fine, if your after lowering on a budget, unless your planning track days and some other real suspension torture the shocks should hold up.

I have done 60 000KM since i put ssl all round and and the shocks have held up fine. Not sure how much longer they will hold up but im not to worried, when the let go simply upgrade shocks then so i dont see it a real issue.

just want it to be comfortable, i wouldn't say i'm under a strict budget but around 800 preferably. i've been in a vz with ultra lows and it was torture, i've never felt so many bumps in my life

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
is it worth investing in a panhard rod? what purpose does it serve (excuse my ignorance)

Only the older vehicles (VS and back) need a panhard rod.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Do it once do it right!! I spent $230 on sssl rear and ssl front which is equal to the SL on VE v6, well within 3 months I did the job again to replace the rear shocks with monroe gt lowered sport shocks, another 2 months later, the strut tops have collapsed, the bearings are starting to make noises and the shocks are bouncy like a trampoline, will be investing in super pro nolathane strut tops with monroe gt lowered sport shocks, lucky I can do it all myself or it would coast me a fortune

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
OP, further define what you believe is "ride quality".... as this means different things to different people.

If you are talking about it being comfortable, then you wont notice shock difference if changing from stock.
If you are talking about it being more stable around bumpy corners and braking ability, then shocks will need to be changed.

To me, 'ride quality' is both.
I've got lowered pedders springs in my VE (not super lows), but standard shocks. But anyone that tells you shocks dont make a difference is either lying or doesnt understand what they do.
When I push my VE around a corner (like for instance a sharp on ramp fora hwy), any small bumps in the road unsettle the VE ever so slightly. This has not nothing to do with springs, its because the shocks arent holding her on the ground as good as they should, due to the more abrupt and frequent travel of a shorter spring (a shorter travel shock will do better holding this difference in movement). Now for normal driving that's fine, but I'm not kidding myself thinking that stock shocks are 100% up to task. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing 'wrong' with them (hell, I'm still using them!)... but when you say "ride quality" there's definitely going to be a difference from stock shocks with lowered springs, and a matched shock/spring combo.

My advice?
Stock shocks are fine, but you need to realise that they will never be as good as shocks perfectly matched to the springs to you are installing (ie as a package from one supplier). Ride comfort wont change, but ride performance will. If you understand those limitations and realise in most situations the stock shocks will be perfectly adequate, then that's fine. But as already suggested, since you have to rip out everything to change the springs anyway, you may as well get them to change shocks too (if it's only a small difference in price).

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
OP, further define what you believe is "ride quality".... as this means different things to different people.

If you are talking about it being comfortable, then you wont notice shock difference if changing from stock.
If you are talking about it being more stable around bumpy corners and braking ability, then shocks will need to be changed.

To me, 'ride quality' is both.
I've got lowered pedders springs in my VE (not super lows), but standard shocks. But anyone that tells you shocks dont make a difference is either lying or doesnt understand what they do.
When I push my VE around a corner (like for instance a sharp on ramp fora hwy), any small bumps in the road unsettle the VE ever so slightly. This has not nothing to do with springs, its because the shocks arent holding her on the ground as good as they should, due to the more abrupt and frequent travel of a shorter spring (a shorter travel shock will do better holding this difference in movement). Now for normal driving that's fine, but I'm not kidding myself thinking that stock shocks are 100% up to task. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing 'wrong' with them (hell, I'm still using them!)... but when you say "ride quality" there's definitely going to be a difference from stock shocks with lowered springs, and a matched shock/spring combo.

My advice?
Stock shocks are fine, but you need to realise that they will never be as good as shocks perfectly matched to the springs to you are installing (ie as a package from one supplier). Ride comfort wont change, but ride performance will. If you understand those limitations and realise in most situations the stock shocks will be perfectly adequate, then that's fine. But as already suggested, since you have to rip out everything to change the springs anyway, you may as well get them to change shocks too (if it's only a small difference in price).

seems like i'm leaning towards a kyb + king setup as GSR rally suggested. by ride quality i meant cruising and feeling the little bumps in the road sorry if that's not clear enough