Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering sv6 shocks question

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Not sure what part of Victoria your in but why don't you search a couple of ride threads and ask someone to take you for a ride?

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
seems like i'm leaning towards a kyb + king setup as GSR rally suggested. by ride quality i meant cruising and feeling the little bumps in the road sorry if that's not clear enough

Spring rates on lowered springs are higher, to compensate for the reduction in travel. So you will feel more of the road and uneven surfaces. Nothing will stop that. You might be more comfortable with the boge option of shock absorber from GSL - they're damped for comfort, rather than handling. So while they'll still handle the higher spring rate, they will have a little more give in them than the KYBs.

The big reason to change the shocks when you change the springs, is that the stock shocks are designed to work at stock height. So by lowering the car, you're compressing the shock absorber more during all phases of it's operation, not letting it work at it's most efficient, plus even in their optimum work range, they're not damped appropriately to control aftermarket springs. You're also much more likely to find the bump stops with stock shocks - which isn't fun. My car still has the stock shocks and I regret not changing them at the same time every time I drive it. I wouldn't recommend springs only to anyone.

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
Spring rates on lowered springs are higher, to compensate for the reduction in travel. So you will feel more of the road and uneven surfaces. Nothing will stop that. You might be more comfortable with the boge option of shock absorber from GSL - they're damped for comfort, rather than handling. So while they'll still handle the higher spring rate, they will have a little more give in them than the KYBs.

might look at the boge option then considering they have a lifetime warranty as well. thanks

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
It doesn't matter what brand you decide to go with, when lowering you always sacrifice ride quality, you have to take the good with the bad.