Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering VE SSV with SSSL all round, do I need guard rolling for the rear with 20s?

RoaringSky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 Manual Sedan
ok I see. Will that off set clear brembos tho? I am thinking of getting a set.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Yes it can. Depends on the wheel spoke design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No it doesn't

Offset is the measurement from the centre of the rim to the face that bolts to the hub. Offset has nothing to do with the wheel/spoke design.

FF6CDCB7-3768-4A79-AC48-EDB2A81AFD7D-286-000000B8A8E30A39_zps9ceff414.jpg

Calais57

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0
No it doesn't

Offset is the measurement from the centre of the rim to the face that bolts to the hub. Offset has nothing to do with the wheel/spoke design.

FF6CDCB7-3768-4A79-AC48-EDB2A81AFD7D-286-000000B8A8E30A39_zps9ceff414.jpg

Sorry mate I have to disagree. I can guarantee it does if you need to clear big brake callipers.

I have speedy cheetahs which will not clear any of the big brake options. I researched this in detail including obtaining templates of brakes for various brands. The problem is because the "spokes" curve in as they meet with the rim. The spokes would foul on the callipers by about 5 to 10 mm (depending on brake brand) only at that extreme point. I could fix this if I used spacers to push the whole wheel a bit further outwards from the hub( ie artificially adjusting the offset). I even asked (unsuccessfully) if speedy would machine up a set of wheels with offsets to suit.

Of course I won't do spacers because of how they are both illegal and unsafe for road use. They also void policies of any insurance company.

Note that the various HSV wheels not only have suitable offsets but they have a spoke design where the spokes sit flat and almost level with the outside of the rim.

Cheers.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
What your talking about isn't offset tho. It's spoke design and that measurement from the inside spoke to the face that bolts to the hub isn't the wheel offset.

My HSV pentagons are 36P offset and clear the HSV brakes. My after market wheels are 40p offset and hit the brakes by about 6-7mm hence the offset isn't a factor.

Calais57

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0
What your talking about isn't offset tho. It's spoke design and that measurement from the inside spoke to the face that bolts to the hub isn't the wheel offset.

My HSV pentagons are 36P offset and clear the HSV brakes. My after market wheels are 40p offset and hit the brakes by about 6-7mm hence the offset isn't a factor.

You are splitting hairs. I know what offset is and I also know it is intimately related to all other wheel measurements and brake clearances. Is there some relevant point you are trying to make here that is helpful to the question asked?

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Is there some relevant point you are trying to make here that is helpful to the question asked?

I believe your wrong about offset affecting brake clearence and I don't see you posting any links or proof???

If the OP wants 275 tyres and brembo's just buy HSV wheels and have no issues at all.