Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering - What will I need?

chrism182

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6.0 ltr M6
I'm looking to lower my car in the future, just wondering what I will need.

My car is a Series 1 2000 VX Commodore S, so I don't think it has IRS. It's on FE2 springs at the moment, and I want to go SSL at the back and SL at the front. I know I will need to buy the SSL back and SL front springs, and I will need a camber kit. Will I need a 2 point or 4 point camber kit? Is there anything else I need other than the springs and the camber kit?

Cheers,
Chris.

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
As your car is a series 1 VX you will need the 4 point camber kit. As well as this and the springs you will probably need short body shocks (especially at the SSL end). This will help with ride and handling.

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
it has IRS. Get a 4 point camber kit. You don't NEED them but shortened shocks would be a nice idea

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
irs live rear ends start on the early vs's im pretty sure, i got BOGES shortened shocks in my vz with king springs all round..dropped 50mm all round and rides great with a bit more firmness, wouldnt like to see it if i didnt get the shortend shockys..would be way to stiff i think. 4 point camber kit, springs, shortend shocks, and labour would be a ball park figure of 1200ish

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
. 2 point camber kit (there are only camber scrub issues in commodores and when lowering them)
.your shockers will wear quicker with lower springs, so get some lowered shockers straight away or after they wear
.in terms of the front, lowering your ride outside the standard suspension geometry (your car is set up for FE2 suspension) may also throw your front end wheel alignment out of whack. (however a front end wheel alignment needs to be done when a rear wheel alignment is done to prevent your car from 'crabbing'). An adjustable radius/strut rod to chassis bush could help, castor wise. I'm going for the Nolathane brand, like many others, but will be keeping my ride height the same ;)