Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG/dual fuel VEs thread . Tips tricks?

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Theres the engine bay. Mechanic said some have filters some dont...LPG filters wet/dry...so I dont know what I have .
Car info says :
HOLDEN COMMODORE LPG Auto VE 08/2006~08/2011 4 Door Sedan RWD LPG 3.6 Litre, LW2 (HN) V6 24v DOHC VVT MPFI {175kW}
I dont know if its factory or aftermarket LPG but its DUAL FUEL car.

One big mindfuk: See those relays/injectors , whatever they are on top of the engine with hoses going in it from left and right? When I lift front hose a bit to see whats underheath I hear HISSSSssss and can smell LPG. Pretty sure thats not safe. When left alone it doesnt HISSSSsss. Maybe hose or hose clamp gives way when lifted up? Damn. Exactly where you see I applied some silicone so rty and see if itll fix it or show the source of the leak.

Offtopic:
I want to do the oil change as well as Im doing few things to the car so why not? lol. BUT I only have that factory jack thats for changing wheels. Can I use it to lift the car from the front somewhere and have enough tilt/elevation to change the engine oil?

Tnx
Go to AutoBarn & ask for high pressure fuel clamps & some EFI fuel hose (replace that dried out hose)
**take a piece with you to get the right size**

Those clamps could be for water/radiator purposes only & aren’t capable of withstanding the LPG pressure &/or hose is cracked/worn

P.S.
eBay Link Dual Fuel Type LPG Filter

Attachments

• E53823A6-E567-45D9-8342-8BD634D3A93A.jpeg
    E53823A6-E567-45D9-8342-8BD634D3A93A.jpeg
    475.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L

Stelya

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commodore Omega gone SS
Thanks guys, you know a lot about these...I would have never guessed but some of the replies here contain moreknowledge onLPG than I got in all other threads combined, Pleasure to read. Mine are orange label. IDK about cooling hoses but when I lift on that point where silicone is I hear and smell LPG . Maybe its coming from the injectors because they are lifted to in the process. Ill double check, but it seemed that is coming from around the hoses/
Changed the oil , will remain permanent Aussie ;) :p

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Thanks guys, you know a lot about these...I would have never guessed but some of the replies here contain moreknowledge onLPG than I got in all other threads combined, Pleasure to read. Mine are orange label. IDK about cooling hoses but when I lift on that point where silicone is I hear and smell LPG . Maybe its coming from the injectors because they are lifted to in the process. Ill double check, but it seemed that is coming from around the hoses/
Just get yourself a spray bottle and whack some water and dishwashing liquid in it. Spray around the joins, injectors and you should find the leak easily enough. If you can hear it hissing it’s probably a decent size leak.

I cant hear mine at at (just a few soap bubbles from the injector where the plastic top meets the metal body), can just smell LPG when I park the car up if there’s no breeze to carry the vapour away.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Replacing the low pressure gas hose won’t be a problem as anyone who deals with LPG should be able to supply an automotive grade lpg hose that wont be damaged by lpg over time.

But it‘s odd there is no lpg injector repair kit available, one that can be easily find via google search.

As is leaks can be from failed o-rings so one would think such o-rings are a serviceable item and it wouldn’t need the whole injector to be replaced. And it’s houldn’t be difficult to get lpg capable o-rings but those in the know seem inclined to want to provide the whole service/injector replacement or just rape people on price :rolleyes:

Here’s a pic of the yellow BCR injector with the above mentioned o-rings.

1667111181133.jpeg

PS: there seems to be different types BRC lpg injectors related to power and fixing. Seems Color is related to power each injector can provide where blue = 31 hp/cylinder, orange = 40 hp/cylinder and yellow = 47 hp/cylinder. The interesting bit is the following:

Background information regarding problem with gas injectors:

In most cases the problem is caused by the fact that the injectors are contaminated with paraffin (oils and greases from the LPG). The filter in front of the injectors must ensure that the injectors do not contaminate quickly. This filter will eventually become saturated and must be replaced every 20,000 km. If the filter is not replaced, the paraffin will no longer be trapped and end up in the injectors.
It is not the case that the injectors leak or do not open anymore. But the opening and closing time are no longer correct. The injectors remain open longer than they should (with dynamic behavior), which means that too much fuel is being dosed. (too rich mixture)
The injectors will then deviate, especially with short injection times (low engine load). The engine is going to run messy and there are too large differences between the injectors. Cleaning the injectors often makes no sense, because there is often too much wear in the injector occurred, as a result of which the guide of the plunger (sealing disk) no longer has the right fit. The plunger does not go smoothly and lord, but goes up and down stumbling and wobbling.
If the injectors are replaced without replacing the filter, the new injectors will soon become dirty again. (read symptom control, no long-term solution)
Pinched from the following web site:

And replacing injectors (or injector o-rings) ain’t difficult. depending on the level of wear, a clean may or may not help… The following video is interesting if you can cope with the droll

Last edited:

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
No I meant the clamps aren’t made for the job mate

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Go to AutoBarn & ask for high pressure fuel clamps & some EFI fuel hose (replace that dried out hose)
**take a piece with you to get the right size**

Those clamps could be for water/radiator purposes only & aren’t capable of withstanding the LPG pressure &/or hose is cracked/worn

P.S.
eBay Link Dual Fuel Type LPG Filter
Vapor pressure isn’t that high. Should be fine. That siliconed plastic fitting is of greater concern.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
owned 2 VE duel fuels, both factory LPG. last one had done 250k no major issues.

found by fitting a twin SS exhaust and headers with high flow cats got extra 50k per tank on lpg.

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
owned 2 VE duel fuels, both factory LPG. last one had done 250k no major issues.

found by fitting a twin SS exhaust and headers with high flow cats got extra 50k per tank on lpg.
I’m hoping for the same (or at least something better than stock setup)

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
I’m hoping for the same (or at least something better than stock setup)
Fyi fitting headers was a **** job but worth it, got mine for $250 from wreckers in high flow cats, no engine lights.