Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG liquid injection systems no longer available anywhere?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Interesting in Tas you can install the new SD's that are battery operated but have a 10 year life on the lithium battery and they only have to go in a couple of rooms. Having said that the cheap battery ones are not legal, they must be the long life ones.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Interesting in Tas you can install the new SD's that are battery operated but have a 10 year life on the lithium battery and they only have to go in a couple of rooms. Having said that the cheap battery ones are not legal, they must be the long life ones.
Oh, I forgot that they all have to be interconnected and the batteries have to last 10 years. No interconnected system has batteries that will last 10 years so ipso facto you have to have a hardwired system.

The new regs took effect for landlords at the beginning of this year and will take effect for owner occupiers from 2027. That means I’m up for a massive expense to comply with the new rules as my roof has to come off to be able to add wiring for smoke alarms. All because some people who didn’t follow the existing laws died and wouldn’t have followed the new laws either if they were alive today.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Wouldn't you love to awake to a blaze caused by the last owner of your house and his stupidity.
What, you mean blazes caused by the plethora of licences electricians that installed dodge Chinese wiring that was in theory recalled? But many owners had no idea about these dodgy cables and some electricians who did their work kept poor paperwork of what parts (supplies cables in this instance) were used in their job… And these professionals didn’t want to spend the effort to chase things down :mad:

Concequence, professionals did the work, authorities had no idea where the 10’s maybe 100’s of km of dodgy cables ended up and now we see an increase of house fires… Surprise surprise…

Make the AU/NZ standards free and accessible by anyone who wants to read them. That way anyone who understands what is written within should be more than capable to do their own work safely and to code and simply have their work inspected and signed of by the electrical authority…

Instead, professionals do the work and in one instance didn’t even follow the code around derating cables runnin* tnrough insulated walls…

But nah, protectionism is profitable for the a-graders :mad:

PS: stats seem to indicate 1/3 to 1/2 of the population actually sleep through fire alarms sounding off :p So wired alarms aren’t the solution that is being pushed… Paint your walls is usually enough to kill the performance where even wired fire alarms wont trigger :eek: So the hint is to not throw away those plastic covers that came packaged with the unit and use it to protect the sensor from contamination when painting.Ever seen a painter do such? :rolleyes:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My SDs have a minimum 10 year life on the battery and are not hard wired. They are advertised as lasting 10 years The wholesaler said they are guaranteed for 10 years when I bought them. Obviously different regs in Tas compared to Qld. My house was signed off without hard-wired ones

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What, you mean blazes caused by the plethora of licences electricians that installed dodge Chinese wiring that was in theory recalled? But many owners had no idea about these dodgy cables and some electricians who did their work kept poor paperwork of what parts (supplies cables in this instance) were used in their job… And these professionals didn’t want to spend the effort to chase things down :mad:

Concequence, professionals did the work, authorities had no idea where the 10’s maybe 100’s of km of dodgy cables ended up and now we see an increase of house fires… Surprise surprise…

Make the AU/NZ standards free and accessible by anyone who wants to read them. That way anyone who understands what is written within should be more than capable to do their own work safely and to code and simply have their work inspected and signed of by the electrical authority…

Instead, professionals do the work and in one instance didn’t even follow the code around derating cables runnin* tnrough insulated walls…

But nah, protectionism is profitable for the a-graders :mad:
Over here an electrician signs off on the work and provides the owner with a certificate of compliance. Then in theory once the electrician submitting the paperwork, which he has three days from completion to do, an inspector is supposed to come out and inspect the work within a few weeks. Now I built a house myself and that was finished over four years ago and the inspector never came out, like the regs say he is supposed too. Likely because Town is almost two hours away. Yet in this new house of ours we moved in 7 months ago and are still waiting for the electrical inspector to come out and view the completed works.......

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
My SDs have a minimum 10 year life on the battery and are not hard wired. They are advertised as lasting 10 years The wholesaler said they are guaranteed for 10 years when I bought them. Obviously different regs in Tas compared to Qld. My house was signed off without hard-wired ones
We now have the strictest smoke alarm laws in the country. Like I said, battery powered for 10 years isn’t a problem, battery powered for 10 years and interconnected is a problem.

Because the interconnected alarms have to talk to each other constantly its impossible to guarantee a 10 year battery life.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
We now have the strictest smoke alarm laws in the country. Like I said, battery powered for 10 years isn’t a problem, battery powered for 10 years and interconnected is a problem.

Because the interconnected alarms have to talk to each other constantly its impossible to guarantee a 10 year battery life.
Ahhh, now I understand.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Over here an electrician signs off on the work and provides the owner with a certificate of compliance. Then in theory once the electrician submitting the paperwork, which he has three days from completion to do, an inspector is supposed to come out and inspect the work within a few weeks. Now I built a house myself and that was finished over four years ago and the inspector never came out, like the regs say he is supposed too. Likely because Town is almost two hours away. Yet in this new house of ours we moved in 7 months ago and are still waiting for the electrical inspector to come out and view the completed works.......
This particular cabling issue can’t be picked up by current requirements. It needs the installer to keep good records of what cable (manufacturer, part numbers, date codes, etc) were used on each job. Then some time down the track if/when it is determined there is a faulty manufactured cable and an associated recall, these professional electrician need to actually perform some work and go back through their records to ensure none of that recalled cable was used by them. They may need to go back over years of work… If such recalled cables were used on any job, then some corrective action needs to be applied to remove and replace the dangerous cables.… How is this funded? May be the corrective action is payed by yje supplier but not all the paper checks which can be substantial work depending how quickly the recall was announced from first importation of these shitty cables..

Sadly out of the 10’s or 100’s of kms of faulty cable sold and installed, I wonder how many kms were actually removed and safe cables installed in their place… don’t thing we are anywhere near 70% replaced, lucky if we are anywhere near 50%… Just a gut feeling but history doesn’t give hope that this issue was handled better than other dangerous issues…

Its the exact same shite with the Australia wide flammable cladding fiasco, something that has gone very quiet over the last couple of years… yet the life threatening problem still exists :mad:

Bottom line is when regulators bring in restrictions, it’s usually self serving and at the unions behest and does little to actually serve the public… Me, I’d prefer if I can rely on my own whits than a substandard captured regulator...

[/rant]

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Which wholesalers sold the dodgy cable? Also do you know when it was sold? I bought my own cable for the old house along with all the electrical fittings, because I had a trade account with the wholesaler and got something like 60% off certain things, there was that much mark up. Becks Electrical closed down when Mitre 10 bought out the Home Hardware chain, so I'd have no real way of finding out unless it was too late.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
How did this go from LPG injection to smoke detectors?