Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lpg my10 ve

Zoltrix77

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ 9C1 Wagon
Hi All,

Just wondering what the throughts are of holden sticking with the 4 speed Auto on the new MY10 VE LPG.

One really has to ask if they are really serious about alternative fuels with a decision like that. While I wouldn't expect to get the SIDI engine seeing as it would run only Petrol for about 10 minutes a day, I do expect the much needed 6 speed auto. Yes, the 6 speed auto hasn't been mated to that engine before, but the relatively small engineering required would simplyfy the transmissions to 1 automatic across the range.

And on the same subject, where is the LPG wagon? I have seen quite a few after market conversions now, while spare wheel space is not exactly at a premium with the sport wagon, it still makes sense and the spare wheel could be an upright space saver or an option to not carry one at all.

Looks like an aftermarket conversion of a 3 year old SIDI wagon will be the one for me.

poweredbycng

Reaction score
I was about to start a similar thread about this topic.

In my opinion, Holden decided to keep the 4-speed automatic for the dual-fuel Commodore for the following reasons:

1. To keep prices down (read: to keep GM's profits up)

2. To ensure that driveability remains a step BEHIND petrol-only variants

3. To minimise development costs

Both 2 and 3 ensure that the final result is seriously compromised.

You're right in saying that Holden is not taking the alternative fuel options seriously. They spend $millions on the development of direct-injection petrol engine and yet they spend only a small fraction of that on engine variants that run on fuels such as LPG when clearly there is a large market for engines optimised for the latter.

It's safe to say that the 'LPG is for BBQs' stigma will live on... or at least until Ford releases their third generation dedicated LPG engine in July 2010.

Regards,
Dave

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
isnt holden releasing a dedicated gas ve soon? maybe it will come out then, so they kept the old going untill the revised comes out?

Cav

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
cav.bigblog.com.au
Members Ride
VE II Omega Ute; Fairmont Ghia
I have a VE International on gas and out on the open road it does seem to change back a gear more often when running on LPG.
It seems well mated to this gear box
But I agree, if they supply the old gearbox in the new model then they should be much cheaper.
My LPG was aftermarket done by the dealer as they had run out of LPG Internationals.
I wonder if they would do the same for the new model and how the new auto would go on gas.
Methinks it may start changing back a gear or two or three on hilly country, which could turn out to be a pain in the arse.
The newer autos are designed for more fuel efficiency, maybe they are not needed with gas

poweredbycng

Reaction score
The newer autos are designed for more fuel efficiency, maybe they are not needed with gas

You can bet your life that any gains experienced with extra ratios with a petrol engine would be experienced with a gas engine too. I wouldn't be surprised if the dual-fuel VE Commodore's fuel consumption drops to 12.5L/100km or so if Holden matches the engine with a 6-speed auto.

Expect Ford's new E-gas engine to use around 12L/100km with the standard 5-speed auto too.

Regards,
Dave

blownba

Reaction score
Icom have a DIRECT injection liquid injection system that will allow the direct petrol injection engines to be run on liquid injection. If you thought that port injected liquid LPG injection was good wait till you see what it can do for the new commo's and the gains that can be had.

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Icom have a DIRECT injection liquid injection system that will allow the direct petrol injection engines to be run on liquid injection. If you thought that port injected liquid LPG injection was good wait till you see what it can do for the new commo's and the gains that can be had.

YEAH BABY!

10L/100km on a Falcodore ON LPG here we come!!!

Regards,
Dave

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Further to blownba's post above, I've done a little bit of research.

Here's what I came up with:

6700_6716_ZOM.jpg

Source: Powertrains - Automotive Engineering International Online

Regards,
Dave

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
mmmmmmm noice, so when are one of you guys going to buy a new commodore and be a guinnea pig for us, i cant wait to see results from it