Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 broken harness clip- help?

MSE089

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black 6sp S2 VT SS
Hey,

I changed the spark plugs on my car today and unfortunately i ended up breaking one of the harness sensor plugs while trying to get the leads off, Its the one on the right side of the engine next to the first spark plug (the closest one to the front of the car),

~Does anyone know what the sensor is for? And how can i replace it or would i have to replace the whole harness?

Also Im still able to plug it in but it doesnt stay in, A little driving and it will come off.....

~If its too much to replace would it be safe to just plug it in and tape it up so it wont come loose?

MSE089

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black 6sp S2 VT SS
bump, can anyone shed some light on this?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id go to the wreckers and cut the same plug/connector off a wreck. Cut the old broken connector/plug off your car, then solder the new plug to the wire. Slide some appropriately coloured heatshrink tubing over the wire before joining it, so it can be slid up over the soldered join and shrunk down over it once the join has been made. Once its been shrunk down over the join ,as well as insulating the join, the heatshrink tubing will also keep the join sealed up from the air so it doesnt corrode etc, and it looks neat and tidy.

Last edited:

MSE089

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black 6sp S2 VT SS
Id go to the wreckers and cut the same plug/connector off a wreck. Cut the old broken connector/plug off your car, then solder the new plug to the wire. Slide some appropriately coloured heatshrink tubing over the wire before joining it, so it can be slid up over the soldered join and shrunk down over it once the join has been made. Once its been shrunk down over the join ,as well as insulating the join, the heatshrink tubing will also keep the join sealed up from the air so it doesnt corrode etc, and it looks neat and tidy.

I think it'll be easier to replace the whole sensor and plug as the connector has broken off inside the sensor plug(?) and it'll be hard to get the broken piece out plus the wiring looked screwed on the plug.

Im about 60% sure its the intake air temp sensor because when i first drive it after changing the leads/plugs (before i knew i had broken it) the computer had started beeping at me telling my the engine was hot, i checked the engine temp on the computer and it was at 105 then climbed to 140, Yet when i opened the bonnet the engine was cool enough to touch (even the exhaust was cool enough to touch for abit) but the termo fans where on.

Is it easy to unscrew the old sensor and screw in a new one with a new plug and wire it up to the harness? or should i just take it to the mechanic?
Anyone help to indentify the sensor would be greatly appreicated ( Its the sensor above the first spark plug on the right side of the engine )
Also any information as to where i could buy a new sensor & plug would be great.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
If its the one in the picture its the Engine Coolant Temp sensor (ECT). Brand new can be purchased from holden, I'm sure there would be one on ebay or you could grab one off a wreckers!
It should also be easy to undo and refit yourself - just might need a bit of locktite or similar on the bolt thread

ECT.JPG

MSE089

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black 6sp S2 VT SS
If its the one in the picture its the Engine Coolant Temp sensor (ECT). Brand new can be purchased from holden, I'm sure there would be one on ebay or you could grab one off a wreckers!
It should also be easy to undo and refit yourself - just might need a bit of locktite or similar on the bolt thread

View attachment 138151

Cheers thats looks like the one, Im sure i can change the sensor over my self, but the problem is with the wire that plugs into it, The sensor its still is fine but the plug is broken off inside it so i'll need a new plug/wire aswell, and im unsure how to reattach that to the harness? Know anything about that?

MSE089

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black 6sp S2 VT SS

Okay after doing abit more research this post will come in very handy,

All i needa know now is would the ECT sensor come with the pigtail if i brought it from a holdens dealership or if not can i buy it serpreately? Because the only other pigtail for the ECT sensor i can find on the net are from the USA and i dont really wanna wait for it to be sent, btw its a 2pin ECT not 3 pin.

Cheers for all the help so far.

ARATIC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hot House VY SS
Google sideshow wiring, I had to buy one of these the other week. Cost about 20 bucks plus shipping

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

MSE089

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black 6sp S2 VT SS
Google sideshow wiring, I had to buy one of these the other week. Cost about 20 bucks plus shipping

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

Did it come with the connector and wiring or was it just the sensor?
Do you know if holden stock them? I dont really wanna be waiting for postage.

Cheers for that website btw.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The ECT plug and its associated wiring is usually connected directly into the engine harness (I'm not near my car at the moment so I can't verify). So additional wiring is not going to be much use to you. As others have suggested, you just need a new plug, cut off the existing wires as close to the old plug as possible, join the wires to the new plug, use heat shrink wrap to get a waterproof join, and re-attach to the sensor.