Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 computer re-learning question

Donnie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Black SV8
Hey ppls,

Heres a stupid question, I realise the re-learning LS1 computer, but lets say one does the LS1 edit and gets 280fwkw - if more mods are done to it AFTER the edit, does the computer re-learn or slowly goes back to its edited form (280fwkw)??

DOes that question make sense?

peace

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
The computer doesn't ever actually alter its tune on its own, to my knowledge. It just takes a series of inputs from sensors, and responds to those inputs by altering ignition timing, injector cycle and a whole heap of other things. These responses are entirely programmed into the computer and defined by a whole bunch of tables.

So, for instance, if the knock sensor detects pinging, it will retard timing or increase injector cycle (or both) in accordance with pre-programmed instructions. The extent of that response will be defined by a heap of factors, including the temperature of the air, the coolant temperature, throttle setting, the gear you're in and the vehicle's speed. The computer will run through each of these inputs and adjust its output by a certain factor for each of those inputs. This all happens in a millisecond.

When you have your car tuned with LS1 edit or whatever, the tuner alters the tables that define the way the computer responds to inputs. For instance, most tuners reduce the injector cycle significantly at high revs because the factory settings are too rich (too much fuel) for optimum power at higher revs.

So, when your car leaves the tuner, the computer will continue to respond to all the same inputs as it did before, but it's outputs will be slightly different. It will not ever revert to its old tune by itself. It will still retard ignition timing if it detects pinging, but if the tuner has alterered the tables the computer uses to determine its responses, it may react in a slightly different way.

Hope that makes sense.

Donnie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Black SV8
Thank for that man!

Ahhh...so basically, i leave the tuner with a max output of 280fwkw (say!) then i change my exhaust system to a performance one. my car 'WILL' have a better response because of the exhaust? Meaning, with the exhaust, my power increased or just respond better but not necessarily increase per say?

Yup...still confused! sorry mate! Just cant get me head around it!

Just that Ive read that it doesnt matter how many mods (bolt ons) you do to the LS1, without a tune, your car will NEVER fully benefit from those mods in terms of power (in numbers)?

In other words, I put an exhaust system, extractors and OTRCAI in a stock 250fwkw LS1, the result would eventually still be 250fwkw UNLESS i get it editted. Is that right?

Someone shed some light!!!!

peace

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
yes it does change tune slighty, eg fuel trims, short term and long term, get better and better everytime u drive it, so the more km's u do, the better your economy will be up until a point, everything normally settles down after 1 tank of fuel....

knock retard will change tune also, fuel etc.......all contribute to the tune changing slightly, if the tune is correctly calibrated, upto a 5kw decrease is commonly known. If tune isnt correct eg dual spark tables arnt set correctly, eg 20+kw loss.

the reason why all the mods done to the car, dont achieve great power increases, is because of 1 reason, the factory tune in the car is set to run rich, hence better economy after a edit, and the ignition advance is very low, hence holding the engine back from making power and torque.

just a tip, u can spend thousands of dollars on OTRCAI, exhaust system, throttle body, etc.......without a tune, maybe a 20kw gain, or u can get a edit done on the vehicle in stock form, and gain that power and also have the economy.......

Hope this info helps, if u need anymore info, feel free to pm me.