Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ls1 dyno..is it worth the money.?

doggie458

Reaction score
Members Ride
cv8 monaro
hey guys..thanx for your advice on the exhaust...i have decided to leave it as is for now,although i have just installed a bigmouth cold air induction with a k&n filter and a 78mm throttle body,i have been told i should get a dyno test done now but is expensive..is it really worth the money.??

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
A "dyno test" will tell you how much power you have & possible Air fuel ratio & torque
its up to you if you want to be able to tell all your mates how much power you have etc.
should cost about an hour ($50 to $80)? no tuning involved.
no real advantage.
Getting it tuned however will involve some time on the dyno while the engine computer is re programmed to give better power output etc. (up to $1300) depending on where you go

Rob

doggie458

Reaction score
Members Ride
cv8 monaro
guranteed results ?

thanks for the advice dr bob..would need to be given a guarantee of major power increase to part with that kinda money..do you know of a reputable place i could take the car and not be ripped off..??

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
doggie458 said:
hey guys..thanx for your advice on the exhaust...i have decided to leave it as is for now,although i have just installed a bigmouth cold air induction with a k&n filter and a 78mm throttle body,i have been told i should get a dyno test done now but is expensive..is it really worth the money.??
why didnt you tell me you were going to get an SS inductions Cold air inductiom and a Throttle body i could ave Punched you in the face and taken your $500 then laughed at you. :ranting:
i could sugest not going on a Dyno cause you will see that u have lost power Via the SS inductions CAI and not made even half a KW with the Throttle body

Last edited by a moderator:

highlander_69r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE
if you wanted to you could have brought a sureflow otr for not much more (assuming you still have maf) and that would have made a real gain felt andd proven down the track if you want to test a real performance dont rely on a dyno as power figures are easily boosted.

ill give you a tried and prove method of mods that r cheap and give real gains and wont dissapoint.

1 . monaro cai (2 hole mod)
2 . catback exhaust
3 . extractors
4 .maf/mafless edit
5 diff ratio change (3.7s,3.9s or 4.11s)
6 stall converter if auto 2800 to 3500
7. over the radiator cai

these mods are the basis for true ls1 performance that have been tried and proven if i had a $ for every big mouth set i seen go in the bin then id have a porsche by now

doggie458

Reaction score
Members Ride
cv8 monaro
i am in hoppers crossing dr bob...and thanx for the tips highlander...just everyone told me to get a ss induction intake as it really helps air flow to the motor and i fell for it...and have just received their intake pipe so is it useless also.?? you say get a monaro cai and an over the radiator cai is this the same thing or 2 separate intakes.?

highlander_69r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE
doggie458 said:
i am in hoppers crossing dr bob...and thanx for the tips highlander...just everyone told me to get a ss induction intake as it really helps air flow to the motor and i fell for it...and have just received their intake pipe so is it useless also.?? you say get a monaro cai and an over the radiator cai is this the same thing or 2 separate intakes.?

most shops that sell ss ind or zorst system will fob off the ss gear , but the monaro cai is pretty much the airbox you have now with a second hole near the one already supplied by the factory. plenty of threads on ls1 and strret commies on how to do this yaself at most cost ya 30 bucks you will hear thie difference.

the otr(over the radiator) cold air ind is a seperate item , have a look in street commies mags as sureflow advertise hem in there with a pic so you will get the idea.powertorque in qld also make a very good version i have 1 myself but the prices are more expensive.the otr will make a hell of a diff with a tune aswell sureflow advertise theres as good for both maf/mafless but i have a mafless tune in my case and only use it for the strip

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
doggie458 said:
Mate if everyone is telling you to get SS inductions then you need to STOP listing to them ASAP. you will end up throwing all your cash at the car and it wont any quicker then a stocker, ask yourself this ! Are any of these people telling you to get SS inductions running 12's in an Unopened LS1 ? i 100% garentee that their NOT ! :b:

Last edited by a moderator: