Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] LS1 Exhaust, no rear muffler what does it sound like?

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Gday guys. Since getting my S2 VY SS ute, i have had a set of Pacemaker Tri-Y's, a twin 2.5" mild steel exhaust, Yella Terra alloy OTRCAI and a Mafless tune done. The exhaust is still running factory cats.

It sounds pretty meaty with the Pacemakers done, but my question is, does anyone have an idea of what it would sound like with the rear resonator removed? It still has the two middle mufflers on it, which will stay there. It does drone a wee bit as is, drone doesn't bother me much, my first car was a VP V6 with Pacies and a single 2.5" mild steel exhaust, and THAT droned LOL.

I'm just looking for a slightly louder note off my LS1 exhaust, i'm not putting hot dogs on it, i know they will sound awful, and i tried ripping the exhaust off at the diff to give me an idea of what it might sound like roughly, but because the exhaust came from the shop in one piece, it's virtually impossible to seperate that rear section that has the resonator on it without cutting it.

If anyone could link me even a Pootube video of what LS1's sound like with extractors and no rear resi, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Or would it be worth just forking out for some decent steel cats to improve the note a bit? It has to go in when the weather gets warmer for a tune adjustment for summer so i could get it done in one go then.

Reaction score
Members Ride
00' WH Stato LS1 A4
It will be almost double as loud...

My car had a supercat 2.5" catback on it, then i had headers and cats done (tri y) -- had some issues with the headers clearing the power steering which was fixed and i asked the guy to remove the rear resonator on the supercat system..

Before it had a v8 note, now it's really raspy and does drone a bit but not that bad.

I'll see if i can get a video for you if you want

Sphinx

O.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais II LS1
get some decent cats. stock cats are gay and don't flow worth a damn.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
It will be almost double as loud...

My car had a supercat 2.5" catback on it, then i had headers and cats done (tri y) -- had some issues with the headers clearing the power steering which was fixed and i asked the guy to remove the rear resonator on the supercat system..

Before it had a v8 note, now it's really raspy and does drone a bit but not that bad.

I'll see if i can get a video for you if you want

Yeah that would be awesome thanks mate! :)

get some decent cats. stock cats are gay and don't flow worth a damn.

Yeah i know but for the moment i just want to get a bit more growl from the note.

i took my front mufflers out and put hot dogs it was slighty louder and a lot more meatier

Nah i'll be leaving the front mufflers in, it will drone like a mother####er without them. Won't drone AS bad without the rear muffler gone. LS1's drone reguardless so i'm gonna cop it either way. I'd just rather the lesser. Cheers anyway bud :)

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

cracker

Reaction score
#### the cats off, get steal ones, or have the press bent pipe replaced, will make it sound alot better