Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 Gearbox Problems

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
So in the last couple of days I've had issues with my 6spd gearbox in my LS1 Monaro. First it was making noises like a slipping clutch. It would happen when it was cold and just started, in Neutral and when in gear with the clutch out. It would pretty much go quiet when I depressed the clutch.

Now it's having serious issues getting into 1st and reverse. I couldn't get it into reverse at all last night, ended up turning the car off and fiddling with the gear lever until it slotted in. I then started it in reverse.

This morning gear changes were hard and horrible, even had problems getting into 3rd. Ended up taking off in 2nd all the way to work as I didn't trust 1st.

I've read that there are common noise issues with these boxes, and that it's likely a gearbox bearing is causing the problem here. The clutch it fine, no pedal fall, no slipping at all. The problem is literally the gearbox. Selecting gears is difficult, sometimes not possible.

So, two questions.
1. What is the likely issue? (Synchros, a particular gear is gone, bearings?)
2. Are there any better gearboxes out there that are a quick swap for the std?

The car has done 120k.

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
*BUMP*
Dissappointed nobody has any suggestions.

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bump again...

really after something here people. It's driving me silly. It occasionally grinds and clunks trying to put it into 3rd, and when trying to put it into reverse sometimes it won't even go right of 5th/6th.

lenLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII SS Ute
I have a similar problem. What did you do too get it fixed? :help:

Bargain Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GTS (VT)
I would check the spigot bearing in the flywheel. They seize/break up. Many a gearbox has been incorrectly diagnosed as faulty when it's just this simple part that has failed.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The Holden service manual's suggestions are to make sure the transmission fluid level is OK, and if so, drain and replace the fluid. Myself and a number of other LSx owners now use Penrite Manual Gear Oil 70 instead of an auto trans fluid (but that's your choice). If that doesn't solve your problem, the next step in the manual's diagnostic charts for six out of the seven symptoms requires the removal of the gearbox.

oscar03

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY ss hothouse green
i have an rx7 had a similar problem that i solved really easily... turned out the hydrolic clutch was low on fluid and wouldn't dis-engage the clutch properly making it har to change gear. not sure if this is whats wrong with yours but its easy to check.
reverse was the first to start giving me troubles as well.
and yeah i know it was pretty bad on my part as far as maintenance goes.