Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ls1/gen3 strocker kits????????

SIG-054

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Senator Signature
Thanks for that Tom it's a good read, looks like they have a few areas of improvements over the ealier motors. Can you still use ya old exhaust or do ya need new headers with the ls3 heads.

pretty sure all aftermarket exhausts are suited. just the stock manifolds u cant interchange i dont think.

SIG-054

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Senator Signature
SIG-054... if you stroked your LS1 though to 383, or used an LS2 block and stroked it to 408, it would come to about 8-10k but would have forged everything (rods, pistons, crank) plus you'd put in lifters along with other aftermarket stuff and it would be a lot better performance setup than an LS3 for the same price. I do understand what you mean about the LS3 being a better stock engine compared with a stock LS1, but i cannot see an LS3+cam being better than an LS1/LS2(block)+stroker+cam+heads for performance. For street manners yes, LS3 will be better. I went for a drive in an LS1 383 stroker + big cam and stock ported heads, manifold T/B, twin 3" system, and it was pulling about 330rwkw. The thing absolutely flew, would wheel spin if you planted your foot at like 40km/h. The owner said once he stroked it after camming it, power increase was huge although peak power from dyno figures only minimally changed. Can't really compare an LS3+cam at 330rwkw to a stroked LS1+cam+heads at the same (peak) power.

i cant see how it was 330rwkw, well not on the dynos we use here. my mate has a full higgins built 408 with all the fruit and its a 20 grand engine and makes 309rwkw though a manual albeit with a FI friendly cam . Strokers are for tourque not overall power output.

hell if my budget was only 8-10 grand id be getting a single turbo on a stock ls1 and putting out 350rwkw.

With the LS3, the engine is that good that there is no need to replace everything to have a reliable 400+ cubed engine. The heads are awesome, the manifold is big so is the stock TB, and the block is already bored out from factory. Change the crank, cam and springs and your set for a 330+rwkw.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
i cant see how it was 330rwkw, well not on the dynos we use here. my mate has a full higgins built 408 with all the fruit and its a 20 grand engine and makes 309rwkw though a manual albeit with a FI friendly cam . Strokers are for tourque not overall power output.

hell if my budget was only 8-10 grand id be getting a single turbo on a stock ls1 and putting out 350rwkw.

With the LS3, the engine is that good that there is no need to replace everything to have a reliable 400+ cubed engine. The heads are awesome, the manifold is big so is the stock TB, and the block is already bored out from factory. Change the crank, cam and springs and your set for a 330+rwkw.

I'm sure he said it was 330rwkw and low 11's with a big cam (242/244). I am putting in a similar cam with higgins heads and aiming for around 300-310rwkw, so i think with a T/B, manifold, 4into1s, twin 3", 308 stroker you would be looking at 330rwkw.

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
I'm sure he said it was 330rwkw and low 11's with a big cam (242/244). I am putting in a similar cam with higgins heads and aiming for around 300-310rwkw, so i think with a T/B, manifold, 4into1s, twin 3", 308 stroker you would be looking at 330rwkw.

GM Motorsport ran high 10's cam only and that was only in a 6 liter not the ls3. so whats the point on stroking unless ur gonna use a big blower or turbo?

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
GM Motorsport ran high 10's cam only and that was only in a 6 liter not the ls3. so whats the point on stroking unless ur gonna use a big blower or turbo?

Heaps of ppl stroke their cars without going FI as well. I plan on stroking my LS1 after I do my C+H package. As for that low 11's, i would say traction was an issue as he runs normal 17" SS wheels with street rubber.

lsx427

Reaction score
Website
www.seperformance.com.au
Members Ride
VY MALOO
Last edited:

SEPERF

Reaction score
Website
www.seperformance.com.au
Members Ride
VL LSX

For 20k i would hope he is getting more then 309kw?? a customer got 291rwkw from a comp XR281HR camshaft and head package with a ls6 manifold with a ls1 5.7L!

VYBR8R

VYBR8NV8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute 5.7/A4
why go ls3 when you can go L98, they're the screamers. they've already got heads on them similar to the ls7, put a cam on it and your looking at more than enough power. cheaper as well. you can pick up a crate motor L98 cammed ready to bolt in for under 8K, or if you looked around you could find a standard L98 for roughly 3.5/ 4K do the cam install yourself and save some dollars there. I know how you feel with the old piston slap my old VX ss had that, managed to get holden to do a warranty job. was like pulling teeth out tho. oversized pistons did the job. i eventually had a 383 stroker kit fitted using come racing parts, although it made good power the car was never the same. poor workmanship i believe was he reason. Whats your budget on your build? if you dont mind me asking . so we can give you some realistic ideas. cause i think we all would like a 440ci monster lol

SEPERF

Reaction score
Website
www.seperformance.com.au
Members Ride
VL LSX
why go ls3 when you can go L98, they're the screamers. they've already got heads on them similar to the ls7, put a cam on it and your looking at more than enough power. cheaper as well. you can pick up a crate motor L98 cammed ready to bolt in for under 8K, or if you looked around you could find a standard L98 for roughly 3.5/ 4K do the cam install yourself and save some dollars there. I know how you feel with the old piston slap my old VX ss had that, managed to get holden to do a warranty job. was like pulling teeth out tho. oversized pistons did the job. i eventually had a 383 stroker kit fitted using come racing parts, although it made good power the car was never the same. poor workmanship i believe was he reason. Whats your budget on your build? if you dont mind me asking . so we can give you some realistic ideas. cause i think we all would like a 440ci monster lol

Very vaild point VYBR8R. I currently have a new L98 crate motor (last one) which we will sell for $5900 which includes a comp cams camshaft, dual valve spring kit , manley push rods and dual timing chain installed ready to go! or $4400 std . I would take the L98 over the ls3 and if i was going to race a bit a 408.

HRT 666

Cammed 8t-body stroker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubby S2 M6
For 20k i would hope he is getting more then 309kw?? a customer got 291rwkw from a comp XR281HR camshaft and head package with a ls6 manifold with a ls1 5.7L!

I believe he paid 8k for that 408 then put in the FI cam and a set of low comp pistons ready for the turbo kit that will be installed down the track.
So when you think about it the engine is set-up for FI just not running any boost yet so 309 at the treads isnt so bad is it!