Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ls1 into vl conversion

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
hello all.

i have been thinking of an ls1 conversion into vl as it seems to be good bang for your bucks these days.

i have searched around a bit on ct.com.au and a few other places but not much help in terms of whats usable when it comes to ls1 accesories etc.

i already know about engine mounts and transmission mounts.

what i need to know is...

what headers?

manual steering rack?

i hear the msd mini starter fits around the manual rack without having to get the starter relocation kit?but then do headers fit in or custom ones needed?i need confirmation on the mini starter motor if it fits?

where to buy a direct plug in ecu and loom?

any links or info from people who have had experience would be much apreciated.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
i've heard a few different stories about wether or not cae headers fit. i know the 4 into 1's on my vs fit good. bugger all room but they fit in there

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
Cheers . There's not much USEFULL information out there. I've gone over pages and pages of ls1 conversion threads but most of it's all yacking and not much real info.

I did find a dude who does the "whole" kit for $4600 minus engine trans etc but I think that's a bit steep

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
383 HSV GTO coupe & vk ls1 turbo
I am currently doing a ls1 conversion into a vk. I am using tuff mounts. I got my self a vs v8 k frame and a vn powersteering rack which will bolt straigth up to the vk to join the steering rack to the coloum i am using a vl intermetiate shaft. this frees up a bit of room on the righthand side. I am using a mini starter in the oirignal postion and to get around the header clearance issue, I have 2 garrett gt2871r turbos to strap to a set of ve ss mainfolds turned reversed so i only need to fit 2 1/2 dump pipes down the side which will be a breez. For the wiring i am using this guy off ebay eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d. With the computer you will need to get the anti theft **** disabled to start the engine. I am using a turbo 400 box to get around the clearance issue of the newer auto.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
cheers mate.

that dude on ebay disables vats to for $150

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yea that's pretty expansive to get it disabled . Would be better off ordering a mail order maffless and get them to do it for free. I bought a harness and computer with it already done just have to get the harness done now.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
yeah.

how much did you spend all up on the mounts,loom,ecu etc?

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Loom and computer cost me 500 it will be another 500 to get the loom chopped up. Tuff mounts were around 400 there a bit more then other mounts but they r way better. K fram and rack I got for 150 . Engine I got for 1200 with no acc. Mini start was around 300. turbo set up will be around 4000. Mad coils and leads were700. Transmission will be around 3000 for box and convertor and mounts. Then there is heaps of other **** I have not got to yet like alternator different manifold powersteering pump and fuel system.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
ahh thats ok i already have full eng,loom and ecu ready to go just need the actual parts to make it fit

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Being a vl you should have a bit more clearance around the rack then a vk ( the reason I went for a newer rack and k frame) not to sure about headers I have heard mixed things but cae seem to be pretty popular . I heard pacemaker were doing sone also.