Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 into VS ute

LS1VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute LS1
I've got a VZ SS 6 speed and I'm looking at putting that motor, box, diff, brakes etc, into an auto VS ute. It's only going to be for the track so It doesn't have to be road worthy so I'm not worrying about air con or a sterio etc. I'm just wondering about all the wiring, steering, ECU and all that stuff and what it's like to do this conversion? And what I can and can't use off the VZ into the VS? I don't know much about doing all this at all. Thanks

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
If it's only for a fun track car honestly it's probably way more hassle then it's worth. Will need the kframe to suit the LS motor at a start. Not a cheap job if you don't know what your doing.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Iv got a t56 in my vs, not difficult just need to be handy modify a few parts, and get custom x member and tail shaft, hardest part is the driveshaft angle getting that spot on from box to diff..... But you do have a cv

Motor again you need a custom mounting system (k frame or adapters) and you'll need to run your own wiring and pair that with the bcm, custom water routing, no ABS (save some space), and a bunch of other **** I forgot too Id imagine......

LS1VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute LS1
Would I be better off just buying a VU ute then? I've got a lot of mechanic mates that have engine conversions and that just not this one. I wouldn't be expecting to take into a shop at any point of the conversion if that makes any difference? I've got the space and tools just need a few ideas and tips and is it worth putting into the vs?

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Will be a lot of work. Especially if you haven't done it before.

I've converted two VS's from a V6 to 5L V8 and even they took a bit of work and a couple of weeks to get everything sorted. You would really want to have an LS1 in your VS to be worth doing it.

If you start and it gets too hard or frustrating, it may not get done, or you might have to farm the work out to someone else and pay through the nose for it.

It's up to you, but if you haven never done this before you will need lots of motivation and a bit of cash... Or a lot of cash if you outsource it.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
if you ute isnt a v8 youll need to change it to the v8 kframe. other than that the easiest way to do everything is to just buy the castlemaine kit. will run you about $2200, but comes with everything you need. left hand starter motor kit, extractors, modified engine mounts, and trans cross member. this will save you the hassle of trying to do something someone has already done.

far as wiring theres people that do mail order looms. i got mine done for $450 with return shipping off ebay. its wired up to plug into your existing wiring and has instructions for the other open wires and where to tie them into your dash and body loom.

power steering will be as easy as having a high pressure hose made up to suit vs to ls engine threads.

1904137_615208128533865_2146613750_n.jpg

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Sometimes the hassle is fun though. I did a VC in a couple of weeks for under $3500 including the motor and box. Fabricated everything myself and kept the starter on the right.

LS1VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute LS1
Thanks guys you've been a big help!! I took the motor and box out of the vs with just me and a mate, we've got all the tools and I've got a few other mechanic mates to help me threw it, so I'm not planning to take it into a shop at all threw this conversion if that makes any difference?? I'm still expecting to spend a few $$ having to buy the k frame, engine mounts, extractors etc. I just love that VS ute shape, then I could do the conversion into another VS ute in the future a lot easier if need be

lucaswwtaylor

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore wagon
Thanks guys you've been a big help!! I took the motor and box out of the vs with just me and a mate, we've got all the tools and I've got a few other mechanic mates to help me threw it, so I'm not planning to take it into a shop at all threw this conversion if that makes any difference?? I'm still expecting to spend a few $$ having to buy the k frame, engine mounts, extractors etc. I just love that VS ute shape, then I could do the conversion into another VS ute in the future a lot easier if need be

How did it all go bro