Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] ls1 timing chain options for upgrade

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Hi all, hoping someone can answer my question. Ive got the front of my engine apart to do the oil pump and noticed theres a fair bit of slack in the chain. Could i use a rollmaster single row chain with the factory crank sprocket and cam gear or does the rollmaster chain have a different roll pitch?

What other options do i have for a single row upgrade (chain only), maintaining the factory sprocket and gear? Could i use a ls2/ls7/l98 chain?

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
mmm yes...after doing lots of reading on numerous ls1 power-plant based forums, the stronger ls2 timing chain superseded the ls1 timing chain many moons ago. so when when buying OEM/GM the part number for early ls1's would have been 12586482, and now the part number that should be currently listed and supplied for ls1's, which supersedes the old number is 12646386 (ls2's). im going to give amcap a call first thing on monday and see if they can confirm this. if shes apples i will be getting one.

hopefully holden use the same part numbers that they do over in the US.

RIP~FPV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES II
Hey mate, how did you get on with the timing chain??