Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 vs RB25det vs RB30et conversion

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
go the 6 bro, im doing a RB30DET in a VK... havent spent over 3G and makes over 427Kw atw, so much cheaper than a V8, weight wise and power wise,

28056802.jpg

Seriously. How much crack are you on?

Gunzero

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Clubsport R8/07 D40 ST-X
LOL 3k must be 30K but yeah iv gone halfs with this car and the bro wants it to go su tu tu tu lol so we are going to turbo it gotta pull the motor out anyway cause i wanna respray it so just gunna build the rb30 up when its out of the car motor and na box are in great condition for build. But where to start?

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
LS1 vs RB25det head conversion

with 8000 you could pull just as much power out of a six! And a six is alot lighter and easier.. But still, an 8 would be pretty sweet if you dont care about the time and effort AND the weight.. oh and an ls1 box will need modiforcations to fit i think. :) Just my 2 cents

Lighter he says? Cast iron 6 cylinder vs alloy V8

LS1 with t56 = 230kg
Rb26 = around 190kg - missing the intake manifold stuff, the throttle bodies, sensors, coil pack, belts, flywheel/clutch and gearbox.

Where's your weight advantage now?

skitzone80b

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr executive
I'm biased because I love RB's but it really depends on what you want to go for, it isn't really a fair comparison seeing as my RB is in a much lighter car then LS's come in but my stock 25's beaten slightly worked ls1's without an issue stock. How quick do you want your car? Do you want torque or ridicilious power?

RB30dets are good because you have the extra 500 cc. but with the age of the motors you'd want to pull it down and do pistons rings rods etc if you were going to spend 8 grand. Pistons aren't cheap with a 30det conversion as you can't use the turbo pistons from an rb30 because the compression ratio will be way to low. Have you thought of doing a 25? 25 blocks with safe tunes are renowned for being able to handle 500whp. And it's cheap to get power from, you don't need to work the heads for 500whp you just need to drop in a pair of cams so that helps with labour rate.

Rb25 with roughly 100,000kms you're looking at 2500 for motor and box with all accesories
Nz mild steel manifold $600
Kinugawa tdo06-25 g $750 including all the lines and gaskets
Tomei pro cams $900
Superspark coil packs $400
Power fc installation and tune $1800
hks injector rail, siemens 850cc injectors and a sard fpr $600
5 puck clutch $400

Theirs your 8 g's without dropping in the motor but the installation of the motor and these parts without the motor in isn't very costly. You could use a stainless steel manifold and save yourself $400. You could use stock cams and still pull 430atwhp and save almost another grand. The ls1 would it be stock power for the 8 grand? Or would that be with headers and a tune etc?

If you just want your vl to be quick in all honesty if you just want your car to be quick I would use your rb30. I went rb 25 as mine was automatic and the price of stock rb25 vs 30 turbo conversion. If you wanted a stock rb 25 you could have one in for about 3.5 grand including labour because the gearbox you already have will handle it if you're not a #### to it. but if you want big power cheap, single cam heads flow fine up til about 500whp the turbo pushes air through it doesn't neccesarily need to "breathe" stock ports clean them up if you want, a wade 818b cam, holset hx35 turbo, nz manifold, injectors and nistune you'll be looking at 3 grand run it on 14psi with a very wet tune and the blocks handle it. you'll have 350-400whp and a whole lot of torque that will make you clench harder then the new kid in Gen pop.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
It all depends on what you want man, you can have 10 people tell you to go turbo, 10 people to tell you to go LS1, and 10 people who say leave it stock, but you already know the answer, which is what you want, not what others say you should do.

Considering I'ven ever driven an LS or rb25 powered car, I'll have to say go the turbo. Mine's been converted, still auto, na injectors, ecu etc, 3" exhaust and it still pulls hard & that's with the bare minimum

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Really any sort of transplant into a VL becomes a question of if you want to die by shotgun or cannon ball.

Reaper

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
VL Turbo LS1?

kinda get a bit of column a
and a little bit of column b

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Really any sort of transplant into a VL becomes a question of if you want to die by shotgun or cannon ball.

Reaper

Oh **** Reaper's back? Last I heard you car pooled to a party in a VL Turbo with ph@t stockies and never arrived, which is highly unlikely due to the VL's superior safety & handling, especially in the wet!

:smoking: