Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 VT nearly undrivable

SnagwellLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1
Hey there
New to the forums and thought I might ask here in the hope that someone has experienced this before me!

I have a VT SS series 2 - LS1 Auto 4l60e

Last night i got home after a decent drive, the car running fine as per usual. parked it up and then went to bed.

This morning i jump in the car to go to work, and it starts and runs like a complete dog, barely idling, like the magic pixies have chucked a massive cam inside it without me knowing.

Popping and backfiring i made my way to work, during the drive i realised I couldn't make it above about 30 - 40 kmph, massive surging and backfiring and really struggling to get going.

It slowly got worse during the day as I took it to my mechanic who didn't have much time but checked the codes (it read quite a few), and confirmed that it would be nothing internal (Mechanic has alot of experience with LS motors) he suggested it may be bad fuel, so i chucked 20 bucks in, still no change after 20 mins of trying to get it running right.

During these 20 mins i had my old man trying to keep it running to run some fuel through it, at which point we noticed a heap of smoke coming from around the exhaust (not out of it) and realised there was liquid of some kind on the actual exhaust at the join for the tail pipe. seems to be heaps of unburnt fuel in the exhaust, which confirmed itself once it started blowing flames from the exhaust.

In my limited knowledge of these motors, it seems like an ignition sort of issue, or an over fueling issue.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this at all, and if they have, Please give me your story as it may help my plight and point me in a direction to go first!

Thanks in advance!!!

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
not a tranny issue

lots of codes would be right
getting heaps of fuel but no spark

while in your panic attack and $ melt down state ...do you remember any code numbers

start at the plugs and work back
coil packs /leads
02 sensors
egr
maf
cas
fuses or relays

if she wont start at all once you get spark ....compression test

sparrow010

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Sounds like its running way to rich...
raw fuel in the exhaust shouldn't happen

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Start with the basics. Pull all the plugs out and work out if it's only happening on one cylinder or multiples. Hopefully there will be single cylinder where the plug is drenched in fuel.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Just a thought.
Check the vacuum hose on the fuel regulator.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Very unlikely to be fuel in the exhaust unless an injector or the fuel regulator diaphragm is very badly damaged

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
Just a weird one but you didn't happen to fill it with E85 fuel by accident did you? It can ruin a lot of soft rubber parts in the fuel system if left to sit in there, and cause some real problems. And the factory ECU will struggle to run it and run like a pig..

SnagwellLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1
I put 98 in it as usual, however at this place they also keep e85 in store - i actually thought they might have accidently put it in the wrong tank, and Bam.

I'm gonna pull the plugs tommorow and check out if its one in particular.

I also thought possibly crank angle sensor, however would there be fuel in my exhaust if it was a crank angle sensor problem? It almost seems like there is injectors leaking like crazy.

On that note as well, has anyone changed a CAS, and if they have, do you need to pull the starter motor?

1994vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Executive
Start with the basics. Pull all the plugs out and work out if it's only happening on one cylinder or multiples. Hopefully there will be single cylinder where the plug is drenched in fuel.

yep. Start with the basics. as someone else said also. you didnt put E85 in it did you? that can really ruin things. The ethanol likes to eat gaskets, seals and o-rings on cars that are not designed for ethanol. the codes that showed up could be making the engine run very rich. check all your sensors and make sure they all work. maybe even buy yourself a cheap $20 odb2 scanner off Ebay. they can help.