Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS2 tuning

Shuttsy

Shuttsy
Reaction score
Members Ride
190RWKW VN 5 Litre
I have got an LS2 i am putting into my VN and it has been stroked to a 440ci and is running at approx 11.5:1 compression ration, nothing is standard on it:boxing:. I am in Mackay north Queensland and i need to find some one that can help me out with tuning the beast once it is assembled. Is there anyone close by that can do this or should i just send my engine down south or should i get it in the car and send the whole car down? there has been lots of money spent on the engine so i don't want anyone that doesn't know what they are doing to f**k it up.

Clint_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
there are a few guys up here in townsville who are good with the ls motors

Shuttsy

Shuttsy
Reaction score
Members Ride
190RWKW VN 5 Litre
Cool, You got any names or even better numbers. Townsville isn't too far away for a quick trip.

96SEN8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS and VS Senator 215i
Hey mate, just curious, how did you get 440 out of an LS2 block. The most ive heard of people getting out of these blocks is 427 and thats with a lot of work with 408s being a lot more common. I wouldve thought ud need an lsx or warhawk block?

Shuttsy

Shuttsy
Reaction score
Members Ride
190RWKW VN 5 Litre
Not sure exactly what has been done. Still waiting on exact parts list off the engine builder. But thats what he said it was. I don't know what breed it is but it is a brand new block and stroker crank.

Shuttsy

Shuttsy
Reaction score
Members Ride
190RWKW VN 5 Litre
Hey man i just had a quick look on the come racing website and found there 440 stroker kit. Please not that this is not what i have in my engine i just found this while browsing their website. "440ci LS1 V8 (7.3 litre) Stroker kit with Wiseco or Diamond Racing forged pistons and 4340 steel “H” beam conrods, forged 4340 steel 4.100” stroke crank. Kit includes moly race rings, rod and main bearings, new GM crank angle sensor fitted and indexed with whole assembly internally balanced…$4200.00 (note: must use LS7 or any 4.125” bore block.) Available in hi comp piston versions only." It sounds like the block has to be bored out to get the extra cubes.

96SEN8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS and VS Senator 215i
Hey man i just had a quick look on the come racing website and found there 440 stroker kit. Please not that this is not what i have in my engine i just found this while browsing their website. "440ci LS1 V8 (7.3 litre) Stroker kit with Wiseco or Diamond Racing forged pistons and 4340 steel “H” beam conrods, forged 4340 steel 4.100” stroke crank. Kit includes moly race rings, rod and main bearings, new GM crank angle sensor fitted and indexed with whole assembly internally balanced…$4200.00 (note: must use LS7 or any 4.125” bore block.) Available in hi comp piston versions only." It sounds like the block has to be bored out to get the extra cubes.
"

So you have to start with a 7L block or go buy a warhawk, or lsx block as i mentioned before. An ls7 block has a 4.125", whereas a 6L has a 4.000" bore. So that crank will be no good for the LS2 block. You can bore the LS2 block to 4.060 without sleeving it, but you would want it sonically tested etc. If you fit sleeves with alot of machine work, you could get close to 4.125 but wouldnt be worth the money imo. Better off starting with a warhawk.
Once the engine is finished and in the car, Id recommend chucking it on a truck and sending it down to the Enhanced automotive workshop. Brad has plenty of experience with larger cube LS blocks. He has a 7L in hes vy drag car and makes a bucket of power. You would be very happy with hes work

Shuttsy

Shuttsy
Reaction score
Members Ride
190RWKW VN 5 Litre
Cool man, it sounds like you know your stuff. I am only a dirty old diesel fitter and have lost touch with the performance scene over the last 6 or 7 years. I will have to double check what block it is and let you know. I am picking up all the parts tomorrow morning. I will try and post some pics of it also. I will try and get in touch with brad about tuning, it sounds like he has all your confidence. Cheers man

Shuttsy

Shuttsy
Reaction score
Members Ride
190RWKW VN 5 Litre
Have got all my engine bits and pieces now. Bock is definatly an ls2 alloy block. It has been bored and sleeved. The heads are fully worked by Higgins performance heads, they are the ones who have done all the work on the engine including fully balancing everything. Have had to go out to work for the week but I will be back on Thursday so I should have some photos of it all on Friday. I just can't wait to start building it and hearing it start for the first time.

matty m

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr stroker v6
hay shuttysy go and see kennys gararge on hugh st next to fast fit he is prob one of the better ones for all the ls engines and he races one and its pretty quick i have spoken to them and they seem to know wot they are on about