Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 Idle speed

berlina411

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline (Weekender). Truck (Daily)
G'Day,
I have a question which may sound silly but here goes....
Up till a couple of weeks ago the idle speed of my LS3 was always at 500rpm with 2.3 L/h showing.
Now it it idling at around 625 - 650rpm with 2.9 -3.1 L/h
Should I be concerned? Take it to the dealer? Is there an adjustment I can make myself? Or am I worried over nothing?
I know absolutely nothing about these computer controlled engines. Had a HQ and could tear that down and repair almost anything but with my latest toy I am lost. Any info appreciated 20180206_174911.jpg

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Your new idle speed is on the money, 500rpm is too low.
Having said that, I don't know why it would have been idling that low.
How many k's on the car?
Any mods?
Was low idle only with air con on?

berlina411

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline (Weekender). Truck (Daily)
G'Day dgp,
Only have just over 9000km, was always at 500rpm since new with air con running. No mods on car and have not had any issues.
I can remember reading somewhere that 500 is the right idle rpm, but I suffer from CRAFT ;) so not sure where I read that

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
G'Day dgp,
Only have just over 9000km, was always at 500rpm since new with air con running. No mods on car and have not had any issues.
I can remember reading somewhere that 500 is the right idle rpm, but I suffer from CRAFT ;) so not sure where I read that
When you say 500 does it appear 500 from the needle or is that a normalised digital readout?
There’s a fair bit to idle speed, suffice it to say the desired idle speed in gear and p/n for 2015 LS3 is 550 rpm, per the factory tune settings.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
VF auto desired rpm is 550 when at operating temps, it will always try to meet that rpm unless say fans are on it will increase min airflow a little to compensate but should stay at desired, but it will always try to meet the rpm so its a little odd that it would sit higher unless something is going on, but as mentioned there are many things that affect idle

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
After installing a new camshaft (VCM523), OTR, header and 3" exhaust system on my auto ute, it idles around 600+ rpm in "D" with 4 litre/hr and 500+ rpm in "N" with 3 litre/hr. When idles in "N", the engine shakes a bit with irregular exhaust notes.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I recall reading somewhere (probably in one of the Holden press release documents on the web?) that Holden stated that one of the changes with the VF was that it is fitted with electric power steering, and because the steering is electric (and can pull power from the battery when needed) the idle speed has been set lower. I do recall (maybe wrongly) the article said that the idle speed is 500 rpm. However, I do notice that my LS3 (auto) idles a little above 500rpm. Maybe the manual idles at 500 rpm?

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
My series 1 SSV well sit at 500rpm with the air conditioning turned off and if you turn the air conditioning on at sits at about 600 to 650rpm