Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 Manual - Fluctuating High revs on cold start

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Noticed something strange yesterday morning on cold start, was 12 degrees and the engine holds the revs a little higher when cold (like the auto choke on old cars) normally after 4-5min of driving the revs will settle just above the 500rpm mark (must be 600 or 650rpm) , but for some reason they were sitting at the line down from 1 on the tacho which must be 800rpm for the whole 15min drive for school drop off. (I did have the heater going on the feet but not the AC on)

When I would slow down and come to a stop at the lights in manual the revs would rise to 1,000rpm and then slowly drop to 800rpm, on some occasions that would fluctuate from 800 to 1100 to 1000 to 1100 before coming back to 800.

On the drive back from school drop off everything went back to normal and it no longer idle high or had fluctuating revs. Has anyone experienced this? Its like cold start was stuck on? I think I read somewhere and I think it has happened in summer when the AC is on, sometimes it holds the revs at 1,000 before dropping because the AC is on?

I havent had a chance but will pull the Walkinshaw pod filter off, check fitment and clean the butterfly.

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Check and/or clean the Throttle Body, IAC valve as well as your MAF (If you still have one)... it happened to all my LS vehicles.

Krustyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Check and/or clean the Throttle Body, IAC valve as well as your MAF (If you still have one)... it happened to all my LS vehicles.
Same. Had the tiniest amount of snot on the MAF sensor. Gently gave it a clean and the idle returned to being smooth.

Reactions: Lex