Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3. New Leads & Sparkplugs. Exhaust Louder, Mileage is Bad, Rich Maybe? Loss of Power.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Note: The loss of power and running rich / mileage may have already been there, I only started noticing after the exhaust note got louder.

- Stock headers / cats with a 3" catback & OTR.
- New NGK Iridium Plugs (IZTR5B11) installed to torque spec
- New Leads.
- Cleaned Throttle / MAF Sensor and Air Filter.
- Checked fuel Injectors for pulsing click using long screw driver.
- Checked each coil by unplugging power to each coil during idle. (Engine changed idle after all, so theres definately some spark) not sure how to test if there is full voltage going through.

The story, car stalled in the driveway randomly one time I was trying to move the car, i know my car and it should never stall at the rev it did, it just felt like the power wasnt where it normally was at that rev, car has clocked 110k so thought I check the plugs.

Some plugs had next to NO center electrode tips! Also corrosion on the tip of the plugs, leads, and coil output stud.
Tried to clean up the coil output stud with a wire brush and MAF spray but could only reach the top tip, not the side, that likely has some corrosion still.

Symptoms:
- Lack of power at high revs. Not all the time. Just feels like its laggy.
- The exhaust pops alot when I let off the throttle, no leaks in the exhaust.
- Exhaust alot louder. Kinda puts me off driving because of the drone.
- No loud knocks or anything, but then the car is so loud I cant really tell.

* I'm guessing if its been running rich for some time maybe its ruined the cats hence why its gone louder? Shouldn't this bring a engine light?
* Can the small amount of corrosion still on the coils cause these symptoms?

Before throwing $$$ at 8 new coils is there anything else I can check? I do have OBD2+Dash Command if I can be pointed into the right direction on what to check?

No Check Engine Codes.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Pull the plugs out and check the gaps.

edit:lol, I should read the OP properly.

Corrosion on the coil output stud is probably going to be a problem, cleaning the top won't make any difference because the plug lead clips over the sides.

Last edited:

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Pull the plugs out and check the gaps.

edit:lol, I should read the OP properly.

Corrosion on the coil output stud is probably going to be a problem, cleaning the top won't make any difference because the plug lead clips over the sides.
I have been editing the post and may have done so the same time you replied lol

I am wondering about the coil also, but am hoping is there anything else I can check myself before putting $$$ to new coils.

I have obd2 + dash command, and have been checking the fuel trims, and ST is moving between the green lines. +-5, my understanding anything -10 or + is no good. But tbh still learning how to read these.

Last edited: