Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 Supercharged oil recommendation

Paul 547

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Auto Walkinshaw 547 Auto
Hi Guys

New member so hello to everyone so Happy New Year and thank you in advance for any advice.
I recently purchased a VF series 2 SSV auto with a 547 Walkinshaw package.

1/ I am detecting a slight ticking noise on idle and low revs and thought perhaps I need a thicker oil ?? In the old 202 this meant thicker oil was needed when it got hot.
With a supercharger I am not sure what oil is best for this set up?

2/ I am wanting to lower (not Summernats low) and put some Hussla wheels on her maybe 20's - 22's, is there a business in Sydney you guys have dealt with that knows how low and what wheels and offsets to purchase? Maybe does both ?? Dont want to buy wheels only to find out she scrubs when lowered and vice versar.

Cheers Paul

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Doubt you would need thicker oil, but you should check with Walkinshaw.

The item below from VF Commodore Recalls & Faults LS3 engines may be of some relevance to you:

Hydraulic lifter noise
From cold start-up, the hydraulic lifters may make a tapping noise. The most common cause of hydraulic lifter noise is particles in the engine oil becoming jammed between the lifter plunger and the lifter body, causing the plunger to become stuck down. The clearances between the plunger and body of a hydraulic lifter can be as little as 3 microns (0.003 mm) such that any particle larger than this in the oil can jam the lifter plunger in its body.

Lifter noise may also be caused by aeration of engine oil in the lifter’s pressure chamber since this increases valve closing velocity. Aeration of engine oil may be caused by:
  • air in the higher pressure chamber of the lifter affecting valvetrain lash;
  • air that is ingested into the lifter during a cold start due to a suction side leak at the oil pump or oil pump pick-up tube O-ring; or,
  • low oil levels and high engine speeds.
Once air gets into the high pressure chamber, it will be slowly expelled through the narrow clearance of the plunger and body.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Depends on what the slight ticking sounds like. If you're new to the LS they are a noisier than average engine. Old school. That said the LS3 was known for above average lifter issues. How many kms on the car and how long has the blower been on it?

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
You can go a quality 10w-40. I run that in my LSA. I don't think it will make a difference though. LS motors are renowned for their sewing machine sound track.

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
Agree with hjtrbo 10W40 would be the way to go

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i used 10-40 oil in mine for few years with stock LS2 bottom end 14psi boost, on inspection bearings looked perfect