Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 valve sound

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Thanks for your input Skylarking. My mechanic is going to service the car early March, in about two weeks, I don't use it daily so I'm not too worried. I'm not sure if I am like full on over reacting because it is not a sound thats real scary, does not sound like metal on metal. What it does sound like is a soft ticking sound the disapears after a couple of minutes. I'm hoping my mechanic has an opion on the matter. I'm actually not even sure if it was doing it right from the start when I bought the car two years ago, Its just something I started to notice. Anyway I'll see what my mechanic thinks, hes a pretty good mechanic and has a couple of V8 cars of his own, older models than we are talking about.
Probably nothing... O

However odd sounds and boost can be more of a concern where a little noise can cause big issues under power...

Enjoy the video :p

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Probably nothing... O

However odd sounds and boost can be more of a concern where a little noise can cause big issues under power...

Enjoy the video :p

Love Eric's 'engine unbuilding' videos! :D

darrenj9413

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Series 2 Caprice.
So I took the Caprice to my mechanic for service a couple of weeks ago. He thought the sound was not too alarming. It does go quite after a couple of minutes and is a gentle rattle rather than a harsh sound. He thought it was probably a valve bleeding out when turned off. The main thing is to look out for if it gets louder or worse in sound or does not go away after a couple of minutes. Actually since the service the sound is a tad quiter and seems to disapear fairly quickly. My plan it this stage is just to listen for the sound when starting and see that it doesnt get any worse. It has not gotten any worse in the past six months, about 5K km