Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lsd/mini spool question ?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Jeez you change your story every post. Next you'll post that his spool was gold plated.

I don't see the need in making a sticky, or even posting that its illegal. People post all the time about modifications that are illegal for their car, yet it never gets mentioned. Wheels are the biggest one, how many people with a stock VN-S ask to fit 19/20s on it. Illegal right there.
19's and 20's are only illegal though if you live in the ass end of Australia:whistling

V85000i

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5L Calais
All i can say is it is all about personel experience/preference, some people like fords and some like holdens, others like V8's and some like turbo 4/6's so if your thinking about getting a spool, just go out and get one, they are not expensive, drive the car for a few months and make up your own mind, i put my spool in, the plan was only to have it for a month or two to see what they are like, 8 months later and i still have it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I don't see the need in making a sticky, or even posting that its illegal. People post all the time about modifications that are illegal for their car, yet it never gets mentioned. Wheels are the biggest one, how many people with a stock VN-S ask to fit 19/20s on it. Illegal right there.

because we have this topic/thread re-occur every couple of months, same questions, same answers, same arguments, same people. don't you get sick of typing out the same replies everytime?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
because we have this topic/thread re-occur every couple of months, same questions, same answers, same arguments, same people. don't you get sick of typing out the same replies everytime?

copy/paste is your friend ;)

Oken

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
ive got a mini spool for my vs, non irs, i was gunna put 3.45 gears in at the same time, but im running 19's and have been told that i will scrub out tyres with the excessive force pushing forward when turning and with the price of 19's i cant afford to be changing them too much, can anyone shed some light for me??

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
ive got a mini spool for my vs, non irs, i was gunna put 3.45 gears in at the same time, but im running 19's and have been told that i will scrub out tyres with the excessive force pushing forward when turning and with the price of 19's i cant afford to be changing them too much, can anyone shed some light for me??

You've been misinformed. There would be very little 'push' (if at all, i havn't noticed any) to make the tyres lose tread.

I run 18s, and havn't had any increased tyre wear since having a locked diff. However, you will do alot more burnouts, because you can. Which would increase your tyre wear.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
I think it's fair to say that you've seen no increase in tyre wear Stealthy - as your (and mine when i was blown & spooled) rear tyres would doubtfully last more than a few hundred km anyway :p

By the nature of the spool (one wheel is breaking traction EVERY time you corner - moreso noticably on tight slow turns, obviously) the tyres HAVE to wear out at a [even if it is very slightly] increased rate to a single spinner, or a non-crazy-tight LSD.

If you're getting 20,000 km out of your tyres on a single spinner, then (for examples sake) you might see 18,000 km with a spool. - it's not like your tyres will go bald on your first U turn. - but who the hell gets 20,000km out of a set of tyres when there's a locked rear end? :p - It's there for a reason!!

More to the point, Oken - if you're worried about tyre longetivity and don't want to be changing them too often, why are you considering a spool - the only legit reason to fit one is to be able to do some nice, controlled & predictable sliding :) - and if you're worried about the tyre bill, this is probably not the best option!

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I think it's fair to say that you've seen no increase in tyre wear Stealthy - as your (and mine when i was blown & spooled) rear tyres would doubtfully last more than a few hundred km anyway :p

By the nature of the spool (one wheel is breaking traction EVERY time you corner - moreso noticably on tight slow turns, obviously) the tyres HAVE to wear out at a [even if it is very slightly] increased rate to a single spinner, or a non-crazy-tight LSD.

If you're getting 20,000 km out of your tyres on a single spinner, then (for examples sake) you might see 18,000 km with a spool. - it's not like your tyres will go bald on your first U turn. - but who the hell gets 20,000km out of a set of tyres when there's a locked rear end? :p - It's there for a reason!!

More to the point, Oken - if you're worried about tyre longetivity and don't want to be changing them too often, why are you considering a spool - the only legit reason to fit one is to be able to do some nice, controlled & predictable sliding :) - and if you're worried about the tyre bill, this is probably not the best option!

That basically sums it all up. Obviously there is going to be more tyre wear. Put a set of tyres on a car with a locked diff, next to a car with an open wheeler, both used for daily driving and no fun, and i bet you couldn't pick between the 2 which was on each car.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
i have a full spool in my turbo'd v8 falcon and have no drama's apart from the chirping when using the stock tyes and scrubbing on my new 18's. there is no difference at all when driving over 20km/h.

leonthalion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII LS1 Wagon
you can get away with it easy, just depends on the car. if your riding on bump stops with a straight through exhaust, kit, etc. then your chances arent good. if however it is in a relatively conservative car (more sleeper in its appearance) then you should be sweet, as my mates and i have always just used the excuse of having a tight lsd when quized. although another friend of mine has spool, no cat, no muffler, bump stops, kit, gauges, a real head turner and hes been goin strong for the last year and a half without any hassles from the boys in blue, but then again the QLD boys arent as fussy on that sort of stuff, more just general "dangerous driving". really it just comes down to your driving style, if u love to step out etc then spool is the way to go, but if you like to take your corners hell fast and enjoy mountain roads then lsd is the way to go.