Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LSD or mini spool

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
EcotecManiac said:
what i dont understand is the misconception aero is under that you get more traction with an lsd than a spool?....i strongly advise aero to take a peek at the link i posted earlier in this thread.....may the mysteries unravel themselves...lol

ok guys i wasnt saying lsd gives MORE traction i said its FOR better traction, presuming that the guy contemplating what to get is gonna be driving on the street with this car. i never said a spool wont give you better traction than an lsd.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
HDT_aero said:
ok guys i wasnt saying lsd gives MORE traction i said its FOR better traction, presuming that the guy contemplating what to get is gonna be driving on the street with this car. i never said a spool wont give you better traction than an lsd.
way to contradict yourself. Either way you look at it, a spool is better. Theres no tyre scrubbing as some 'think' and it barely increases your turning circle, even though i have a unique turning circle, i call it 'on the spot'.

Fact is, LSDs have some play in them, where'as a spool is 50% power to each wheel every time. Apart from being very unreliable, as not everyone has $3000 budget just for a diff, spools are cheaper, more fun, and garuntee'd 2 wheels everytime. I know more people with spools as dailys who never do burnouts, but swear by spools, as i do!

blown hsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs clubsport
stealthy i have 3.9s lsd on my vs 5ltr superchrged clubsport for 3 yrs so far no problem with it as with your mates crashing with the lsd not working wouldn`t they crash more with the spool as always locked you would go more sideways or can`t your mates drive in a straight. line no offence but thats how it sounds to me

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
blown hsv said:
stealthy i have 3.9s lsd on my vs 5ltr superchrged clubsport for 3 yrs so far no problem with it as with your mates crashing with the lsd not working wouldn`t they crash more with the spool as always locked you would go more sideways or can`t your mates drive in a straight. line no offence but thats how it sounds to me
No offence taken, but i should clear afew things up

Thats not it at all. Its the fact of driving the car for so long, and predicting where its going to be, then she suddenly spins one wheel, and welcome to pole city! My thoughts are the same for Auto's, i've driven both in all different cars (yes these 'mates') and the guys with LSDs hate them. Personally, i like the garunteed 2 wheels spinning, and belive me, its nothing to do with being able to drive. Many times i've taken out my 'mates' VS 5 Speed with a Turbo, that thing has more power than my cars, but the LSD is letting it down. one corner she's a one wheeler, next corner she's a 2 wheeler. Me myself i know the dangers, so my mates car was never at risk. LOok at it this way, if for some wierd reason, thieves stole my spool and put an LSD in my car, I'd be ****ed, as i know exactly how my car reacts to my foot. This was never ment to be a 'LSDs are crap' thread, as with the right amount of money spent, there fine, but for this guy a spool would seem better, i don't know his finacial situation, but me i would never consider spening $1000s on a diff when $120 will do a better job.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
STEALTHY said:
way to contradict yourself.

show me where i cotradict myself.....

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
HDT_aero said:
STEALTHY said:
way to contradict yourself.

show me where i cotradict myself.....
you crack me up, better traction, and more traction are the same thing. But me with my theorys, theres no such thing as loss of traction, theres just learn your damn car. I could light it up every set of lights if i wanted, but i can also be out driving for hours and not loose a single mm of tread.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
HDT_aero said:
why would you be spinning the wheels in an lsd i see it as better traction of the line not for f...ing burnouts.....
so i guess if you wanna do burnouts then go the spool if you just want traction get lsd
here is where you contradicted yourself. do i have to show you everything?

blown hsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs clubsport
stealthy you say you can drive all day without loosing any tread with a spool you are wrong as they are locked or maybe you just drive in a straight line how about the cost of the axle brackeges if you have to do u turns when driveing they do twist i had a mini spool in my xu1 torana i i gave up replacing axles in the 9 inch diff and the car was turboed and driven every day you will loose more controll of your car when both wheels turn not 1 wheel as an everyday car stick with the lsd thets my opinion anyway. and you don`t have to spend thousands on a lsd as you say just have to find someone that can do the job right mines still working really good with no problems

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
what about the gtho 71 xy falcon thay had locker diffs how did thay go go have you seen the movie running on empty??? :drink: :drink: