Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LSD & ratio's

Danthuyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Hi guys

Just wanting some input on LSD and ratios from those with personal experience using them in either v6 or v8 capacity. I am tossing up between RTS, wavetrac and harrop for the main unit and 3.9 get set to go with it.

I hear some of the rts units can be noisy? I have heard good things about both wavetrac and of course harrop but I'm finding it hard to make my mind up.

Cheers
Dan

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Hi guys

Just wanting some input on LSD and ratios from those with personal experience using them in either v6 or v8 capacity. I am tossing up between RTS, wavetrac and harrop for the main unit and 3.9 get set to go with it.

I hear some of the rts units can be noisy? I have heard good things about both wavetrac and of course harrop but I'm finding it hard to make my mind up.

Cheers
Dan

The Harrop TrueTrack is supposed to be very good. Not sure on the other units. So far as ratios go are you manual or auto?

Danthuyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
The Harrop TrueTrack is supposed to be very good. Not sure on the other units. So far as ratios go are you manual or auto?

Manual .........

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Sounds good mate, enjoy it!

graphicgoose

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SSV Redline
3.9's in a manual would be the go. I had a mate who got 4.11's and they whined, found out after that is a fairly regular thing and then wished he'd gone 3.9's.

Danthuyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
To lessen the risk of diff whine use genuine ZF gears

I assume you're speaking from experience here ArronM ??

Im pretty sold on the 3.9's gears i'm just researching the rest of the internals now as there is a big price difference between the GM units vs Harrop etc.

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
Gear noise isn't related to ratio. The noise is created from the gear quality. Some gears are just noisy.
The old ZOOM brand gears from the 80's are a classic example.
What's the big advantage with going to low ratio's for the street??? 411:1 doesn't make sense?

3.9's in a manual would be the go. I had a mate who got 4.11's and they whined, found out after that is a fairly regular thing and then wished he'd gone 3.9's.

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
Diff whine is reduced by quality and set up. New gears are best as they bed in as a set.

Ratio is mostly irrelavent The more solid the rear bushes the more diff whine or bearing/ tyre noise will be amplified

Just ask graphicgoose