Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LsX vs 632 dart big M

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
There are two reasons why LS1s don't sound as good as the old 304/8s...
1 - Firing order. The firing order actually modifies the exhaust pulse timing and is mostly what is responsible for the old school rumble that sounds so good.
2 - Catalytic converters. Pre-cat cars always have less restricted exhaust flow improving the sound

For a modern engine in an older Holden I'd recommend a 427. You can either go carby or LS7 injection. Either way, 7 litres of LS goodness.

YBNRVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hz gts monaro
Ok thanks guys some good info & answers there

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
the reason for ls conversions is cheap power for the price of them plus a LS engine in an old Holden is a peice of piss to engineer and have it road legal with big power vs trying to road legal a big block, especially something as massive as a 632 big block, i reckon there is #### all chance of ever being able to get that legally on the road.

the heating issues alone with a big block in an old car, you have to customize the #### outta the cooling system and modify the rad supports etc to fit massive radiators and fans in to keep em cool, especially if they are cammed with a stally, big blocks run hot as #### at higher rpms.

cant say i agree with either of those comments. its not hard to get a big block engineered in an old holden, or even in a late model commodore if you know what you are doing, and they dont run any hotter than a cammed and stalled LS motor if they are tuned correctly and they dont need spastic sized radiators either.

the biggest limitation with a 572 or 632 or bigger is the deck height, they are a physically large engine. but you cant beat them for ridiculous torque and power figures and that sound, oh my golly gosh.....

but if you want to lose weight and go fast for cheap and easy, than you cant touch anything but an LS. personally i doubt i will ever touch a small block chev or holden motor again they are ****. Just LS' and Big Blocks for me personally.