Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

M21 Gearbox Oil change need advice

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Awesome you are an absolute life saver do you know if I can get a copper gasket to suit at supercheap or somewhere and what size etc? I'm assuming the fill plug is passenger side? Cheers for the info much appreciated
fill plug is the big 1" mother on the pax side (shifter sideplate is on the driver side)
full gasket kits have both the filler plug and drain bolt gaskets
but
if you only want to drain it, don't damage the copper gasket (they can be reused a few times). If you do
take the bolt to Repco, Supercheap and get a new one (I buy a bag with 5 in them if I need them)

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
fill plug is the big 1" mother on the pax side (shifter sideplate is on the driver side)
full gasket kits have both the filler plug and drain bolt gaskets
but
if you only want to drain it, don't damage the copper gasket (they can be reused a few times). If you do
take the bolt to Repco, Supercheap and get a new one (I buy a bag with 5 in them if I need them)
cheers I just had a go at taking the filler plug off and of course I have misplaced my 1 inch socket.... Tried a shifter and I stripped its not to bad off to buy a bloody 1 inch socket tommorow. I can see both copper gaskets they look pretty thrashed so will try and get new ones I asked today at supercheap and the guy behind the counter didn't even know what I was talking about. I'm going to make sure I can undo the filler plug befor eI touch the drain plug... I bloody cracked my shoulder a good one as well.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Got under the car a few day ago I can only see on plug on the box about modway have I got the model where you have to drain it somehow by pumping it out?
As mentioned earlier #2, and as above ^^^

Bottom bolt on the extension housing that houses reverse gear.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
..................... I'm going to make sure I can undo the filler plug befor eI touch the drain plug.
Rule No. 1 that... for when dealing with diffs and gearboxes

it has never happened to me but early days with cars, one of the cousins
(EH179 with crash box) decides to do an oil change... drains it and CANNOT get the filler plug undone

one look says the box still has its original oil as that plug has never been removed... not helped
by a layer of red mud all over the box (the aunt/uncle lived up country)

had to pull the box and once on the bench use a HD rattle gun on that filler plug :eek:

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Ok done it all today..... Many friggen annoying trips to supercheap, repco and autobarn being Sunday even worse.

First trip buy a 1 inch socket no 1 inch sockets so settled for a ring spanner get home under car and find out its not 1 inch its 25mm.
Back to supercheap no 25mm sockets either so buy a 25mm ring spanner.
Get home have a tad trouble getting it on as nut has been stripped and munted before so I get out the hammer and smack it on couldn't get the leverage so i gently bashed it a couple of times with the hammer success.

Then got my 14mm socket and undid the drain plug that wasn't heaps tight it came out nice and easy

Back to supercheap third trip to find new copper crush gaskets and hopefully a new fill plug since the old one is munted. No luck anywhere couldn't get new fill plug that size or copper gaskets to suit anywhere. Went back home and just planned on reusing them even though the drain gasket looked **** anyway did it up and put a bit of oil in so far so good. Normally i wouldnt rush this but have to get car regoed asap and I've left it to the last minute again.

I ended up topping it up with Penrite gear oil from supercheap couldn't find the castrol anywhere

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...72.html#q=penrite+gear+oil&lang=en_AU&start=7

I drained it all into a 3 litre milk container looked like more than 2 litres came out which is weird the thing has leaked oil from that input shaft for about 10 years... My main reason for changing it I thought it would be quite empty. I topped it up out of both penrite bottles it took the whole 2 litres minus a bit I managed to spill all over the exhaust myself and garage floor. Couldn't get it to leak out the filler plug hole but it didn't when I originally cracked it open anyway.

I then took the 3 litre milk bottle and poured the old fluid into the empty penrite bottles it filled both bottles and I had about 100mm left in the milk bottle. I'm assuming I should be fine getting close to 2 litres of new oil in the box? It must of held a bit more oil because a fair bit has leaked over the 10 years had to clean up the old drain pan plenty of times

I also did find some bits of metal in the oil not heaps and it was very very small shavings like microscopic should I be worried or just wear and tear it didn't really look sinister

the penrite oil was blue also which I thought was weird.

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Is it suppose to be bad all I can find is its done for easy identification....