Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

M35 gearbox vx not engaging gear grinding sound then ok once driving

smoken_VS

Perth wa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Vx Commodore sedan
Got a 5 speed manual gearbox playing up ...been like it for awhile but i think its finally stuffed....sometimes it won't engage in 1st 2nd and all gears during take off just grinds in the box then slips in then drives ok again until i stop. ...just wondering if it's the box or clutch?

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
you say the car is ok after you get going

do some simple checks first

the fluid level in the clutch master

look for leaks at the slave cyl

would be wise to bleed the line

gearbox to check

check the gearbox oil level
drop the gearbox oil ...see if it shines with metal (brass/ silver ) in the day light
look at the magnet for lots of debris

have some one depress the pedal while you look under
to see it the clutch fork is moving enough

clutch
how old would the clutch be

Last edited:

smoken_VS

Perth wa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Vx Commodore sedan
Clutch seems ok im just getting a grinding sound when engaged into gear the crunch grind etc and then it go's in...sounds like the gearbox is stuffed but i might check the level of the gearbox. ....The slave cylinder under the dash was leaking awhile back but i adjusted the clutch and stopped leaking. Before i adjusted the clutch it used to pop outta gear but now i just get a grinding sound while trying to take off....doesn't happen all the time seems to happen more when i have passengers in the car. Must be my fat missus causing it all

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
either the slave or master seals are cactus and you adjusting it was pure luck it stopped leaking

The rubber boot on the tunnel around the shifter is probably what's popping it out of gear , they are a **** when they get old and hard or warped, shift linkages probably need rebushing or tightening or they wriggle like a bitch and jam between gears selection

Grinding would be the shift selector sitting between to cogs 1&2 raping the teeth edges

Tighten the linkages and see if it comes good , if not your synco is shot and a new box or rebuild is on the cards

smoken_VS

Perth wa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Vx Commodore sedan
The gears would grind in all gears then something would happen (clicks back in id say )and then it would go back to normal...something to do with clutch engaging maybe or probably stuffed ...problem only got worse over time might check out the linkages now