Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MACE CAI or growler CAI??

mumsvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II "Lumina"
Thanks for the advice Turtl3.

mumsvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II "Lumina"
Hi Wraith. It is a stock 3.8 V6. I going with the theory of more air to the engine and a freely breathing exhaust = more power. Is my theory wrong? And at least mumsvx would get a growl! :driving:

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Been proven many times to have minimal effect except for obnoxious noise. In saying that though I chucked a growler on my VX purely for the slightly louder induction roar but I also got it tuned at the same time. Only got it because it was dirt cheap.

mumsvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II "Lumina"
Good point. Small power gains and obnoxious noise. I'll talk with my mates mechanic. My mate runs a VX Clubsport. :spot on: Sounds like just plug and playing with the parts won't be enough and additional tuning IS required. I was originally thinking of supercharging the ecofail. Weighing up options. :beer chug:

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Have put the Mace on mine. Not sure I'd bother again. Since I'm in the country I don't have any traffic jam heatsoak and the 'suck sound' just makes it harder to tell if there's a bearing wearing in the front pulley area.

Fulysic

Work to much
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 S PACK S2
Go for MACE I love it, MACE cant be beaten on quality and it gives my car a professional look only thing I changed was added bigger K&N filter but personal preference and also cops love it never bother me about it :beer chug:

SAM_0118v23.jpg

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Hi Wraith. It is a stock 3.8 V6. I going with the theory of more air to the engine and a freely breathing exhaust = more power. Is my theory wrong? And at least mumsvx would get a growl! :driving:
More in and more out is about right but bolt ons will provide marginal improvements. Including a mail order Mace tune and spacers and exhaust makes mine go more like it should before the factory detuned it.....

Good point. Small power gains and obnoxious noise. I'll talk with my mates mechanic. My mate runs a VX Clubsport. :spot on: Sounds like just plug and playing with the parts won't be enough and additional tuning IS required. I was originally thinking of supercharging the ecofail. Weighing up options. :beer chug:

...but it won't be anywhere near a blower. Different game altogether.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I have had a MACE airbox. Not a fan. Even more so with that cheap looking ag pipe they ship with. Growler looks some what more factory.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International

Im glad if u have changed ur mind on what u were originally thinking haha. Because unless u have oodles of money that u want to-and are happy to, spend on supercharging the l36...(which would easily outweigh the value of the car itself). Its not really worth doing at all. Best option is to sell the car and buy an l67 powered commy. Or go one better and buy a v8