Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MACE Cold Air Intake

calebsnodgrass

Not defected... yet
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Executive, Series I, 3.8L
hey guys,

im not vey technical with the motors and how a CAI really works

if someone can easily tell me how it works and any performance improvements..

tks in advance

MACE

Reaction score
I have VS Ecotec with a Raptor R Blower installed and the MACE CAI too. You are right in the fact that the CAI did not NEED any modifying to fit it, but i did need to alter the intake pipe slightly to make it fit in conjunction with it.

I believe that other forum members also neeeded to make minor alterations to the piepwork, but these were very minimum and cost effective.

That said however, i did slightly altered my CAI so it would be neat and easy to alter the Raptor Intake pipework. The MAF meter is now situated flush against the CAI and runs into the box, with the Pod attaching directly to the MAF inside, making it neat, and much easier to make the alterations to the Raptor Intake Pipe to suit it.

Looks great though :yeah:

hey guys,

tks in advance

As for how CAI's work, a detailed description can be found here.

Cold air intake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers
Steve :D

calebsnodgrass

Not defected... yet
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Executive, Series I, 3.8L
thanks that link helped..

one more question, would it improve engine power and economy even though my car is a stock commodore vr '93 series 1

i dont have turbo etc

just wonderin

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
hey guys,

tks in advance

Welcome to the site. I encourage you to hit the 'search button' and type in key words to find out information about CAI and many other questions that you may have. Alot of new users to this site immediately post and don't realise that alot of simple and complex questions have had threads sometimes multiple threads already posted with all the answers to their questions.

Also, if you are very new to the car scene or you don't know the basics eg CAI, then I suggest going to a search engine like google and type in your required information. We all were very green on cars and not technical at one time in our lives, but instead of someone explaining the basics, there are many pages of info out there that will help you get started.

For the record, CAI stands for Cold Air Induction. This refers to the vehicle getting cooler air to feed the engine instead of sucking hot air from within the engine bay or from within the factory restrictive airbox. Cold air has the benefit of making the car more efficient and increasing power sometimes only marginally in different circumstances. The colder air is more dense than hot air and this is what an engine loves to breath. Depending on the vehicle, gains from doing this modification vary. There are definetely no negatives to giving the car cooler air to breath :)

Welcome again.

MACE

Reaction score
thanks that link helped..

one more question, would it improve engine power and economy even though my car is a stock commodore vr '93 series 1

i dont have turbo etc

just wonderin

Yes it will :)

Welcome to the site. I encourage you to hit the 'search button' and type in key words to find out information about CAI and many other questions that you may have. Alot of new users to this site immediately post and don't realise that alot of simple and complex questions have had threads sometimes multiple threads already posted with all the answers to their questions.

Also, if you are very new to the car scene or you don't know the basics eg CAI, then I suggest going to a search engine like google and type in your required information. We all were very green on cars and not technical at one time in our lives, but instead of someone explaining the basics, there are many pages of info out there that will help you get started.

For the record, CAI stands for Cold Air Induction. This refers to the vehicle getting cooler air to feed the engine instead of sucking hot air from within the engine bay or from within the factory restrictive airbox. Cold air has the benefit of making the car more efficient and increasing power sometimes only marginally in different circumstances. The colder air is more dense than hot air and this is what an engine loves to breath. Depending on the vehicle, gains from doing this modification vary. There are definetely no negatives to giving the car cooler air to breath :)

Welcome again.

Nice CAI writeup HoldenOnn :thumbsup: As for research, there is a heap of info on here and on other sites but we're also happy to answer your questions :)

Cheers
Steve

FirstVR_JC

Reaction score
Members Ride
RALLIART Magna
Installed my MACE CAI enclosed pod yesterday (VR V6) and i must say i am very happy with it!!

Installation is very easy and it really is a perfect fit.

Things i have noticed --- I believe this cai has eleviated some of the drone i get at 2500rpm.... the exhaust note sounds crisper with more of a burble at 2500rpm rather than a whooooop drone. Acceleration feels smoother.

Can't really say if there is a power increase but the car does seem to climb the revs smoother than before.

Induction sound is noticable but in no way is it overwhelming.

I am yet to install the 70mm T/B i bought as well.... will be doing that over the weekend, so will post up how all that goes and hopefully wont have any issues with idle ect.

Overall i think this set-up has made a nice change to how the car feels to drive and am very happy with the product.

EDIT- Just thought that i would add that after a couple of days of driving it is clear that the throttle response has improved dramatically --- i am yet to put on the T/B.... i am thinking the throttle response will be very touchy when i do.
The car feels to me that it has gained some power ..... it feels much lighter to drive with increased acceleration.

I defiantly think that it performs better than the s/c vs cai i had on previously ....

I dont know why so many people knock the pod filter .... with it enclosed i think the mod is really worth it. Anyway, i am enjoying driving my car again.

Last edited:

Danoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 06 Exec
One thing I would like to know is if the intakes are legal in NSW? I would hate to be taking it off every rego time and then putting it back on again when its all passed.

MACE

Reaction score
Installed my MACE CAI enclosed pod yesterday (VR V6) and i must say i am very happy with it!!

Installation is very easy and it really is a perfect fit.

Things i have noticed --- I believe this cai has eleviated some of the drone i get at 2500rpm.... the exhaust note sounds crisper with more of a burble at 2500rpm rather than a whooooop drone. Acceleration feels smoother.

Can't really say if there is a power increase but the car does seem to climb the revs smoother than before.

Induction sound is noticable but in no way is it overwhelming.

I am yet to install the 70mm T/B i bought as well.... will be doing that over the weekend, so will post up how all that goes and hopefully wont have any issues with idle ect.

Overall i think this set-up has made a nice change to how the car feels to drive and am very happy with the product.

EDIT- Just thought that i would add that after a couple of days of driving it is clear that the throttle response has improved dramatically --- i am yet to put on the T/B.... i am thinking the throttle response will be very touchy when i do.
The car feels to me that it has gained some power ..... it feels much lighter to drive with increased acceleration.

I defiantly think that it performs better than the s/c vs cai i had on previously ....

I dont know why so many people knock the pod filter .... with it enclosed i think the mod is really worth it. Anyway, i am enjoying driving my car again.

Glad to hear your happy with the item FirstVR_JC :thumbsup:

One thing I would like to know is if the intakes are legal in NSW? I would hate to be taking it off every rego time and then putting it back on again when its all passed.

Given that the pods we use are an oil less item they should be considered legal, provided you have no other inlet mods. In saying this though to revert back to standard would take between 15-30min, which would be a good opportunity to clean the filter anyways :)

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
im gonna get one of these for my vz executive, will i notice a change in induction sound? will it b nicer then having just a pod filter

MACE

Reaction score
im gonna get one of these for my vz executive, will i notice a change in induction sound? will it b nicer then having just a pod filter

You certainly will, more so if you have a larger exhaust system fitted :) It's much more effective then just a pod filter as it block of engine heat and channels cool air direct to the filter :thumbsup:

Cheers
Steve