Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MACE Engineering go racing!

MACE

Reaction score
MACE Engineering go racing!

Well not yet, but once the car is going we will be :p

Part of contributing to the future automotive engineers in Australia and keeping up to date with the latest engineering practices, we’ve joined forces with RMIT Racing, in supporting them with their Formula SAE race car. For people who are not familiar with Formula SAE, picture it as a shrunk down Formula One, which undergraduate engineering students, from various universities from around the world build up from scratch and compete against each other each year!

The amount of high end development work that goes into to these would certainly not be out of place of that of developing an F1 car. From 3D CAD modeling, computational stress, fluid analysis, wind tunnel testing, etc.

Having been apart of the team back in 2003 as an undergraduate engineer myself, it’s certainly not for the faint hearted! With these guys having to not only take into account the design of the component they’re involved with, but also document the design, costing and also management of the manufacturing and assembly of the components of the race car, all on top of their studies!

Pics of their race cars of previous years are shown below, with more current pics to follow over the coming weeks.

For more about last year’s car and about the history of the competition in general check out the links below.

Welcome to RMIT Racing- FSAE & FSAE-A Champions 2006, FISITA World Champions 2007

Formula SAE - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMG_0457small.jpg

IMG_0456small.jpg

IMG_0454small.jpg

IMG_0453small.jpg

IMG_0455small.jpg

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
It has Holden and Ford stickers on it??? Burn it with fire!

LOL just kidding, yeah those engineering degrees are a killer. A guy I went to school with did a civil engineering undergraduate degree and had to do a 100,000 word (plus diagrams and charts and other crap) project where he had to design a fully functional moon base. WTF? NASA are cheap bastrads, LOL.

MACE

Reaction score
It has Holden and Ford stickers on it??? Burn it with fire!

LOL just kidding, yeah those engineering degrees are a killer. A guy I went to school with did a civil engineering undergraduate degree and had to do a 100,000 word (plus diagrams and charts and other crap) project where he had to design a fully functional moon base. WTF? NASA are cheap bastrads, LOL.

LOL all of the major current and recent automotive manufactures in Australia are major sponsors of the event. So no, the car's not suffering from an identity crisis just event sponsors :p

The new car for 2010 will be much better then previous years from what what I've seen already :) Still being built at present these cars are from 08 and 09

Shame they eventually have to scrap the previous years cars :( Would love to grab a hold of one myself :D

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
if i remember rightly, don't they run 450cc motocross bike engines or something similar?

MACE

Reaction score
if i remember rightly, don't they run 450cc motocross bike engines or something similar?

This does run a 450cc motocross engine, a Yamaha WR450F to be exact :)

The car though is allowed upto 660cc from memory, however they all have to run a 20mm restrictor in the inlet, as can be seen after the throttle body and before the plenum. If they run boost then it's dropped down to 18mm.

In saying this though they're still bloody quick with them in place :D