Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mace Performance Products Review

lowwhite

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VS Ute
Hi All

Just thought i would provide some feedback reguarding the Mace performance products i just installed into my VS 3.8 Auto. The parts were as follows:
Enclosed pod CAI
25mm Manifold Insulator
12mm Plenum Spacer
1.98:1 Rockers and Crow Pushrods
Mace Memcal

My ute already had redback headers, high flow cat and a redback 2.5'' catback. The ute is pretty tidy throughout and has done approx 220 000km, so a good running but relativly tired ecotec.

Instalation of all parts was very straight foward given the detailed instructions. As i stripped everything down i gave everything a good clean, throttle body, plenum ect. I also installed some reco injectors while i had the thing apart. The best tip i can give you if your installing any of these spacers is to take it easy with the gasket goo. I found that a 3-4ml bead was way more than enough to do the job. I also replaced the throttle body o-ring and rocker cover seals, just to make sure everything was right.

Test drive was very supprising. There was a much more even power delivery and a substancial increase in torque down low. The engine climbed the revs faster and more easily. The engine overall felt much less restricted. The improved shift points on the memcal were great and overall the ute felt a lot more responsive. There was also a big deepening in the exhaust note.

After going for a 30min drive i thought i would pop the bonnet and have a feel of the plenum.... cold! very cold. would have only been a couple of degrees warmer than the ambiant air temprature. Great! (my ute is a 1998 VS which does not have an egr valve like the newer ecotecs and alloytecs which keeps thing much cooler).

I wil try and provide a dyno sheet for the new mods when i have a chance. The pre mod sheet is attached. This is with headers, cat and catback plus a ss inductions OTR CAI and k&n panel filter which i decided on removing due to the heat soak problems i was encountering.

All in all a great investment and the ute has a heap more poke!!! i would recomend these products as they have made a huge difference to the driveability of my ute. The team at Mace were very helpful and the products were of a very high standard. Thanks Mace

Attachments

• P1010067.jpg
    P1010067.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 426
  • P1010064.jpg
    P1010064.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 330
  • P1010066.jpg
    P1010066.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 369
  • P1010069.jpg
    P1010069.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 356
  • Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 373

lowwhite

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VS Ute
If anyone out there has any ideas reguarding further modifications i'de like to hear them. Thinking of going down the forced induction path. Any ideas?

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
you could go something like a raptor supercharger, that should liven the ute up some more.

its a centrifugal type setup and you'd easily be able to fit it up. runs around 9-10psi boost, and then if you want you can go intercooled.

lowwhite

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VS Ute
Sounds good. Is there room for further modification with the raptors reguarding intercoolers ect? Any idea what a kit would cost?

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
i think a non intercooled kit is around the $5,000 mark, then intercooled is a bit more. when going intercooled on the ecotecs most people get a reverse plenum so the intake is on the right hand side to make the intercooler piping shorter and less complicated. you should still be able to keep your mace cai i think, as steve from mace and the guys from raptorsc get along pretty well.

thats $5,000 ish for everything you need inc tuned memcal. then later on you could look at stronger internals and up the boost a bit more, maybe a supercharged specific camshaft to suit the 1.98's as well.

lowwhite

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VS Ute
thanks for the info old mate. think i might have to save a few pennies before i go down that path. Had a look at the raptor site, great looking set ups for the ecotecs. full kits and the likes. might have to put that idea on the backburner for a while ha ha.