Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] MAF tune

xspsi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Boosted VZ Thunder
Hi there, just to clarify the $550 is a full live tune on the dyno and what you were recommended was based on your application to achieve best results. Cheers, Stathi.

03VYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ute SS 5.7 M6
Tuning out the torque management can be done without a mafless tune. You benefit on just about any vehicle going mafless, removing the MAF and replacing it with a straight bellow or pipe. Torque management removal is just a matter of utilizing 2 credits, or $100 worth of tune credits on Hptuners and literally take a couple of minutes. A full dyno for $550 to me is worth the cost. Most dyno tunes here run $1000. I'm self tuning mine and having the shop who did all the work clean it up as I'm tuning without a wideband. Saves me a fair bit of money just costs me more time. If I were to do it over i'd just take it back to the shop have them do all the mods I want in one go and tell them exactly what I want, dyno tune then street tune it and call it a day.

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
thanks for clearing that up xspsi. I`ll have to bring it in your you guys to tune for me

SirNemesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
WHII Statesman
To properly do a MAF tune, you need to tune it MAFLess first. If someone is doing MAF tunes cheaper than MAFLess tunes, you are getting stooged as the overall time taken will be longer for a MAF setup. If this is the case, you are either getting a pre-done tune (not something actually tuned to suit your car), or the tuner isn't worth their salt. I agree that you will lose nothing by retaining the MAF with a 90mm MAF setup, I'd also recommend keeping it.

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
Finally someone backed me up

Haha i agree with you Toey.
if the MAF isnt restricting flow (as in the case of most stock VZ's and pretty much every stock VE) then why wouldnt you retain the MAF, it is just an extra sensor used to fine tune the running of the car.
A lot of people seem to believe a MAFless tune is giving the car a whole new way of running when really it uses what is already running and even removes some of the learning capabilities of the cars PCM system.

tothezenith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS 5.7L M6
Agreed, extra sensor worth having to fine tune the abilities. I have a VY but fitted with the larger VZ MAF and even the tuner was surprised with the results.