Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MAFless Tune & my service managers opinion

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Sportswagon A6 Phantom
Well I've had the SS-V Redline for 2 months now, It had a KPM 2.5" catback put on at the dealership before delivery, I have a KPM/VCM OTR to go on but was going to wait until after the first service, but I came back home on R&R as I work away from home, and decided I would put the OTR on and just change it back for service. But now I have asked the service manager what I can do without affecting warranty, I told him I wanted to go MAFless as it will be done at OZ-Track and it is what Steve recommends, to my surprise he said he has no problems with it and it will only affect the warranty on the engine if the thing detonates(being to air/fuel ratios leaning out) so i said what if a lifter goes or a big end bearing, would this be considered to be from the extra KW's, to which he said that the only failures he has ever seen on the 6.0L are from bad oil, bad fuel, irregular service etc and that if a lifter goes it will probably be found to be a faulty lifter if every thing else is in order ie the oil and service and fuel. I run caltex 98pulp always so fuel shouldn't be an issue. He also said that they service the Illawarra's Highway patrol cars, that DO have a tune and run on E10 and have had no problems.
So to cut a long story short, MAFless tune here we come.

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
thats what he says now when youre a prospective customer and there isnt a problem...

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
I'd want that in writing if they are anything like the dealers service managers that I've dealt with!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Talk is cheap, signed agreement is more solid.

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
Ok, 1. I 'am not a perspective customer, I have had the Car for 2 months. 2. yes It would be good to have it in writing.3.talk is cheap but I never said that I talked to the guy, I emailed him and I have the emails.........which brings me back to point 2, yes I have it in writing :)

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Good for you, we're not being smart it's genuine concern!

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Ok, 1. I 'am not a perspective customer, I have had the Car for 2 months. 2. yes It would be good to have it in writing.3.talk is cheap but I never said that I talked to the guy, I emailed him and I have the emails.........which brings me back to point 2, yes I have it in writing :)

email would be iffy as a warranty source. id get it on a real letterhead'd paper, signed

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
Seems legit to me. Only way a warranty claim can be declined is if they can prove your mods caused the problem.

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
I guess the bottom line for me is, if something goes I know that it won't necessarily void warranty, it may in some cases, but it's not a definite warranty void. The Tune is going to happen anyway, it was just a bit of piece of mind having consulted the service manager. The car is not a daily driver and is really just a toy, it has only done 350km's in 2 months and I expect that it will be lucky to do 5000km's over the next year as I am only home 1 week in 5 and when I am home I don't actually go anywhere except Woolworths & Bunnings!!! I plan on supercharging in the not to distant future, and if worse comes to worse and the engine detonates, it gives me a good reason to trow in an LS7!!!!!!!:)

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
If you plan on putting on the blower, why all the fuss re the warranty?