Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Magnefine Filters - Beware they do explode!

tavrin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 L67
Did you put it before the radiator (cooler) or after? It is meant to go after it, that way the fluid has been cooled down a bit.

Yep, after the cooler

In a US thread on the problem with inline filters, Magnefine made the following post in 29.3.2013:

"It has been brought to our attention that there is some issues with the MagneFine In line Filter. In reply to any issue that you find I would like to advise that we warranty the product for its operation and performance.

I would also like to advise that there is a Knock Off in line filter that looks exactly like the MagneFine. This copy is Made in China and is sold on line and in some the same traditional distribution outlets, like the ones mentioned in the Forums.

Over the last 9 months we have been inundated with reports from customers that the MagneFine filter is failing or leaking between the cap and the body seam. In 99% of cases it has been the knock off filter that the customer has and not a MagneFine filter.

To identify the genuine MagneFine filter from the Knock off. Just remove the label and if the "MagneFine" name is not molded into the cap then it is the Knock off not a genuine MagneFine.

If the filter is a genuine MagneFine. I would like to offer our assistance to anyone that has an issue to contact myself at - [email protected]"

You are spot on.
I previous ran a magnefine filter which I bought from repco about a year ago. I recently changed it to a new magnefine filter a mate gave me ~3 weeks ago because the first one had been in there for a while.
Pulled the sticker back and there was no Magnefine markings on it :(
Think i'll be going to Repco tomorrow and buying another genuine one.

No need at all to run such a filter...

They work really well -> here's some of the stuff which got stuck to the magnet over a few weeks.

filter crap.jpg

We're talking ATF fluid, a "thin" fluid in it's own right.

I see this failure as more pressure related.

In speaking, I never use plastic inline filters. Metal cartridge filters are the go.

I have seen the billet magnefine ones... Is the paper filter replaceable? Or is it a sealed unit which requires complete replacement? Wouldnt mind buying one of these.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Looks like its working really well for ya...

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
In my line of work we use genuine Caterpillar, John Deere, Komatsu or Donaldson inline filters. All these makes have both magnets and pleated filter elements in a metal cartridge, but are a throw away item once the external fluid line flow restrictor is in the red, or the service hours have been reached.

I haven't seen many people use these inline filters in automotive transmissions honestly, more in power steering. You are doing a good thing here.

Extended component life is the keypoint here and cleaner fluid at service intervals.