Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Magnuson MP1900 Gilmer drive?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i have the harrop with the toothed rear drive, and it always whines dosnt matter if your idling or full bore usually under load its less noticeable because of the engine noise as well but its always there, with bonnet closed its quieter too and also after the belt wears in it does quieten a little...

turbodragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
470rwkw Twin Turbo VE SS-V
i have the harrop with the toothed rear drive, and it always whines dosnt matter if your idling or full bore usually under load its less noticeable because of the engine noise as well but its always there, with bonnet closed its quieter too and also after the belt wears in it does quieten a little...

Is the toothed rear drive the equivialnt to a gilmer on a maggy? Any viedoes or sound clips of the whine?

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Cool cool. Under no load, I take it it's basically non-existent in terms of whine? What about regular stop-start driving?

Wouldn't know it was there unless you give it some love with the right foot.
I had a guy service the aircon and after he drove it into the work shop, stood there for 5 minutes with the bonnet up looking a bit puzzled.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Is the toothed rear drive the equivialnt to a gilmer on a maggy? Any viedoes or sound clips of the whine?
i think its harrops own toothed drive the teeth are closer with no flat top like the gilmer, id prob say its more of a whistle than a whine, my tuner has a dyno run back when it was first done and with the bonnet off u hear it a bit more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wJLqTt87Z8

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
I have a maggie 1900 with gilmer drive rear. And its loud. I really like it. Not stupid loud. Had it for almost 3 years and never had a problem with the cops.

At idle its noticable but not loud. Can be heard over a dual 3 inch exhaust. And obviously the more you rev it the louder it gets.

Standard drive maggies are sometime referred to as "stealth kits" cause with a standard airbox they are very quite

Major Herbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
'10 Pontiac G8 Manual '10 VE SV6 Manual
On the subject of police. Can you get a supercharger engineered and what is the process of doing it?

I wouldn't mind the loudest charger whine I could find because they sound awesome but don't want to get defected every time I go for a joy ride.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
yes you can but it is expensive and a lengthy process.
Firstly you need to have the car engineered and then you have to pass the emissions test. Good luck.

K-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
In the great state of SA, having spoke to an engineer, it can be done, somewhat easily, but not cheaply.

He explained to me that things like an emissions test MAY need to be conducted (Depending on what you have done), and cars have passed with L98, medium cam and turbo. Also explained that, depending on your power output, you may need to do a structural rigidity test. Given you own a VE, and a ve is almost like a VF, and a VF GTS has 430kw, that shouldnt be a problem.

Best speak to one, fill in the form (I have the link somewhere) and see what the government determines it needs.

For my car - L98. Cold Air, full exhaust, 6pot Brembo's, coil overs, 233/234 cam, ported heads, diff - the only test thet would be MANDATORY would be an emissions test. Admittedly it would be questionable if mine would pass. But that's not the point.
The other POSSIBLE tests would be to take it for a drive on a track to do some Braking / handling measurements and the structural rigidity test.

So a long list of mods there, could get away with just an emissions test, may require all of them and more. If you were going to engineer a car, go FI, not a big naturally aspirated build like I have.

Budget $2k and upwards to get it done, also, the car cannot change from the engineering report or its no longer valid - ie get it engineered, install a much bigger cam.

Last edited:

Manwhore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS sedan manual
I have the 1900 with gilmer or toothed belt it's not overly loud inside the car outside you can hear but it's no different to the loud exhaust if you like the sound you get it! mines all engineered.

Major Herbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
'10 Pontiac G8 Manual '10 VE SV6 Manual
In the great state of SA, having spoke to an engineer, it can be done, somewhat easily, but not cheaply.

He explained to me that things like an emissions test MAY need to be conducted (Depending on what you have done), and cars have passed with L98, medium cam and turbo. Also explained that, depending on your power output, you may need to do a structural rigidity test. Given you own a VE, and a ve is almost like a VF, and a VF GTS has 430kw, that shouldnt be a problem.

Best speak to one, fill in the form (I have the link somewhere) and see what the government determines it needs.

For my car - L98. Cold Air, full exhaust, 6pot Brembo's, coil overs, 233/234 cam, ported heads, diff - the only test thet would be MANDATORY would be an emissions test. Admittedly it would be questionable if mine would pass. But that's not the point.
The other POSSIBLE tests would be to take it for a drive on a track to do some Braking / handling measurements and the structural rigidity test.

So a long list of mods there, could get away with just an emissions test, may require all of them and more. If you were going to engineer a car, go FI, not a big naturally aspirated build like I have.

Budget $2k and upwards to get it done, also, the car cannot change from the engineering report or its no longer valid - ie get it engineered, install a much bigger cam.

Thanks for the info.

I'll be looking more into it once I have the funds to get a supercharger.

Living in a small country town, police here get one doughnut per defect they give(two for a regency)