Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mags? Alloys? eh?

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
*popping on a rather dusty materials engineering hat*

Spot on garfa, flammability (as well as corrosion and susceptibility to cracking) are the reasons magnesium alone isn't used. Instead, a "blend" of properties is achieved by alloying magnesium with predominantly aluminium (along with a few other elements). Alloy is a generic term, the body of your car is made from an alloy steel (iron/carbon alloyed with vanadium, molybdenum amongst a few others) which is lighter and stronger than standard carbon steel and has far better formability. Back to the rims, as to what slang term holds sway now, who knows?

Lecture is over now.

Mark
B. Eng (Mat) (Hons)

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I wanna get me some thermite :hit:

Let's see just how fireproof this here safe is!! ahaha!

Joking, I wouldn't do that.

I think I'll just stick with calling wheels either wheels or rims ;).

Although for some reason, whenever I think 'mags' I think chromes, and when I think alloys or wheels or rims, I think alloys... and when I think chasers, I think steel stockies ;).

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
thats right bextor!

thermite is ignited by either potassium permaganate and glycerol or magnesium. oooooooh! thermite is very fun! good to put on bonets of a pricks car and lite it. burns straight through the motor like butter! just for ppl that dont know thermite is used to cut metal in industrial welding apps. its aluminium and the rest iron rust (iron oxide). dont do this at home with out someone that knows what they are doing and i take no responibilities for any stupid **** ppl do. and i am not sure of its legality so i didnt give any qualtities.
sorry for the hijack guys

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Also causes small explosions/ burns when doing grinding with the wrong discs on the wrong substances. And yeah, cutting railway tracks etc I hear also

Anyway.. Back to the mags/ alloys.

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
vsute you got it all wrong it's

check out my fully sik 19" momos mate

i'm not sterotyping either

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Mags stand for Magnesium Alloy.. Wheels aren't made of solid magnesium.. It's an alloy of Magnesium and a few other metals..

Hence the term Mag..

Alloy obviously means a mixture of two or more metals.. So those are all alloy wheels..

Alloy wheel is the more formal term.. Mags is the throwaround term..

It's for this reason that mags are generally the aftermarket ones people put on their cars and alloys come with the car..

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
just to start off with, thermite is used to weld sections of railway track together when used with a mould.......as for mags, rims, whatever.....you are all right about the magnesium alloys etc etc but you will probably find that most cheaper aftermarket "mags" contain very little magnesium. However, a V8 supercar rim is a true "mag" and as such, they are very light but also extremely susceptible to cracking because of the slightly brittle nature of the material. Usually, a set of "mags" will last them one season. that's if they're not smeared up the wall at the clipsal 500 or the gold coast indy :king:

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I think the term "mags" is old school ;) We used to have mags on the HQ etc... But nowadays we have factory "alloys", "rims", "chromies", "steeles" lol
Im sure this will change yet again....

Im more inclined to say athough the "lesson" up there is correct, its more about the "slang" than the actual properties of the wheel IMO.

D.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
^^^it used to be about the actual properties of the wheel. now its about slang.