Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Main fuse blowing

Turbovg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vg v6 ute
ive got a vg ute its a v6 i blew the main fuse ages ago and forgot about for a while, went to have a look today and replace the fuse and it blew as soon as it went in

I know there must be a short somewhere but ive had the car for years never had that issue till now so im abit lost and wanting to know if anyones had the same issue and is there any main spots where they are known to short out

Any help appreciated

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
I'd start with inspecting both fuse panels for any other blown fuses/relays for signs of melting to get a hint as to which circuit is causing it.

Pull every fuse and inspect it and it's location maybe.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
look around the oil filter Ive notice lots of wires rub thru there is the ducting around the dfi there? if its blowing a 100 amp fuse it shouldn't be hard to see the flash in the dark goto the dunger yard and gather up a heap of fuses .

Turbovg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vg v6 ute
I'd start with inspecting both fuse panels for any other blown fuses/relays for signs of melting to get a hint as to which circuit is causing it.

Pull every fuse and inspect it and it's location maybe.

Yeah ive been doing that trying to get my head around the issue but i think I possibly might have just solved it,

I have a fan thats wired in separatly that comes off the positive on the battery and runs to the fan i just noticed that its come loose at a connection between the fan and battery and the wires were sitting on the chassis rail so it had a wire going from positive on the battery to the chassis rail

Would that be the corse of my issue you think? Its to late to get another fuse and test it witch is a bugga

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
it would the fans pull a shitload of current their fuses are big a short to the body on the fan wiring would do it .

Turbovg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vg v6 ute
Well now i feel like a muppet spent ages trying to figure it out then 10 minutes after a make this thread i find it.

Something so simple owell ill get a fuse and try again tomorrow haha cheers for the help fellas

Turbovg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vg v6 ute
Update: i cleaned up and removed the wiring and threw another fuse in the old girl and it popped again, so im going to go through the wiring this weekend and delete anything that isnt factory, it seems theres also 2 aftermarket wires that run through the firewall but they’re coming off the negative terminal so im a little confused there

drew79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
i just had the same problem, traced it back to a brown wire with a blue stripe running into the main engine loom. After blowing around 100 fuses trying to find the problem i had it down to 2 wires, cut the brown/blue wire and it started straight up and havent had a problem since, now just need to find what the wire is for.

Turbovg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vg v6 ute
i just had the same problem, traced it back to a brown wire with a blue stripe running into the main engine loom. After blowing around 100 fuses trying to find the problem i had it down to 2 wires, cut the brown/blue wire and it started straight up and havent had a problem since, now just need to find what the wire is for.

Its a hard one ive got one aftermarket wire to cut before i start looking into the loom, where abouts was the wire you cut im just looking at some wiring diagrams ive got here