Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Maintaining the finish of a freshly waxed car? (especially black)

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
I have and use a pressure washer on my car, I also use a much heavier duty one at work on it between washes. As stated it depends his close you are as to the amount of pressure it applies, I stand well back, the car gets wet and its really only wind blowing the water off and taking the dust / dirt with it.

I do it every couple of days, rain or no rain pending or otherwise, then straight out onto the freeway for a blow dry on the way to / from work.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
If you used a body duster wouldn't that scratch the clear?

Not the meguiars one. They're coated in some sort of oil or something that lifts the dust off. The dirtier they get, the better they work. I've been using one on my burmuda Calais for years and no scratches.

Sent from me, to you.

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
thats awesome!
I might have to buy one, in canberra the polinn (spelling :S) is awful

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
4cfca31bbd29efa1a4287806b08e.jpg

Man thats sweet.. was looking for something like the california duster which basically looks exactly like this.. interested in it due to the oil or something in the bristles, which is supposed to prevent scratches..

Will DEFINATELY look into the meguiars one.. dont think ive seen them handy at super cheap, or autobarn tho.. is it a special order thing?

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
is it possable that the wax your using is causing static and attracts the dust?
not sure just throwing it out there.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Man thats sweet.. was looking for something like the california duster which basically looks exactly like this.. interested in it due to the oil or something in the bristles, which is supposed to prevent scratches..

Will DEFINATELY look into the meguiars one.. dont think ive seen them handy at super cheap, or autobarn tho.. is it a special order thing?

Autobarn should stock them. They're fairly popular.

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
is it possable that the wax your using is causing static and attracts the dust?
not sure just throwing it out there.

someone is on the ball.......

most waxes will attract dust where as sealants are a less prone to it. downside is a sealant doesnt look as deep and wet as a wax will.

steer clear of the dusters as its begging to swirl up your paint. the best way is still to wash it, yes just hitting it with a gerni will work for dust but it isnt going to lift the road grime that is on the lower panels which will only get rubbed over the paint when you dry the car causing swirls.

guess it comes down to how much effort you want to put in. maybe look at getting a better quality wax so you only have to wax every month or 2 rather then weekly.

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
maybe look at getting a better quality wax so you only have to wax every month or 2 rather then weekly.

Currently using NXt Gen 2.0 tech wax and also swapping with Mothers Pure Gold Class Carnubura Wax.. ad $50 a pop.. not sure if i want to spend anymore on a wax than that... i'm not driving a maserati here.

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
both rubbish in terms of durability. far far far better gear out on the market. first thing is to stop shopping for car care gear at autobarn and the likes, its over priced and poor quality.

i have a tub of dodo juice supernatural wax that retails at $180 for 200ml from car care products, i have used under half of the tub and have done 18 coats with it. at that rate it will cost me under $5 a coat. the thing with premium products is a tiny bit goes a very long way