Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Making A Web Site

D

dumpd6

My mate wants me to make a web site for him so he can put all his pics of burnouts, his turbo cortina, an his v8 centura etc so people can type “v8 centua” in a search engine an his stuff comes up

How do I do this???

Where do I go to make one ??

Is there a way I can make a WWW. One instead of just a HTTP one??

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
well you need webspace .. mainly. which you'll either have to pay for or find someone thats offering it. your isp may be the best way to go as usually you get free space when you sign up.

if he wants burnouts and stuff he'll need a fair bit of webspace

but once you get that you'll need either an ftp uploader and a html program. unless you can write it all yourself.

D

dumpd6

by the sounds of that its too hard i dont think im gonna worrie about it

D

death-from-above

Mate the HTTP is to do with how files are transfered (Hyper Text Transfer Protocol) its nothing to do with the actual address for the site. If you havnt done much work with websites and uploading of burnouts and so forth its probable best to get hold of a HTML creator like front page or dreamweaver. That way its all easy to see and modify.

An address will cost you money and since your mate wants to upload burnout videos and so forth extra space might be needed if you jsut want to use your ordinary ISP allocated web space.

Conclusion : Tell your mate to get off his lazy ass and do it himself

C

clinker1212

Making the web page shouldn't be a problem. If you are looking at something basic you can create it in a MS Word template-(If its just a few pics and stuff). But the fellas are right that you need to organise web space and an addy. If you want to creat a web site with links and so forth then your looking at getting some software. You never know unless you have a go.
Clint

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
making web pages is not hard but i suggest if you dont know anything about how to do it to read alot and just try. hey i made mine in 5 min and it shows but if you want all the glits and glamour thats going to take time and space not to mention download times for ppl who want to view it, longest the page should take to come up is 30 sec or ppl will get bored and not bother
just a thaught.

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V8 Berlina Wagon A4
You can pay me and i'll make you one.. lol..

The key is knowing a few programs. If your a novice try using MS Word if you have version 2000 or XP. Making a webpage is like making a document with pictures in that program.

Check out your ISP has given you some webspace to play with. You probably will get like 10 meg or so. You will need to have a crash course on FTP if you don't know it.

Otherwise learn frontpage or something like that. Remember photoshop is your friend. So is ripping off images from other people's websites.. hehe

PS: you usually get free webspacew with your internet account. That is free.

WWW you have to pay for because a) you need to register a WWW.something and B ) you need to also host it somewhere so they can give you some space to upload a page. You'r looking at that you need to remember that it's gonna cost you.

If you wanna register go to http://www.melbourneit.com.au/

they do .com.au registries and others also.. like .net.au or .org.au

the cost of the website depends also on what it is. .com.au usually requires an ABN or business to register it.

some food for thought. It can get quite complicated.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
true true..

I have always recommended, and always will recommend Macromedia Dreamweaver. It is a costy program though, otherwise you could learn HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language) - looks like a bunch of jargon at first glance, but is quite easy to learn.

As stated before, you will need a fair amount of FTP space. The current host I am with (snake-inc - www.snake-inc.com) provide you with some nifty space - 50-100 Mb if I remember correctly - though, currently, thier FTP server is down.

Not trying to contradict anyone, or cause a fight, but if you do think about doing this page yourself, try to avoid MS word, as it codes a lot of b.s and sometimes will mess up the look of your page on the web..

Hope it helps.
tr3nt.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I'm speaking from 8 years of web design experience when I say do NOT write a web page in MS Word.

If you aren't going to write the bare code yourself, then use a DEDICATED web site creation program. MS Word puts all sorts of junk code in and generally they look damn ugly.

I will recommend you go to http://www.webmonkey.com to learn about writing web pages - look for HTML tutorials. Believe me - it is much more satisfying to design a web site by hand.

Here's a few of mine:

http://www.davidpardy.live.com.au
http://www.changeofpace.live.com.au
http://www.geocities.com/hesplin_hardcore

Those three pages do actually incorporate some CSS to make them a tad prettier, but in the end those pages are simply tables and manipulated text.

try http://www.topcities.com if you want a lot of webspace, I think they give you 100mb

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
My apologies, I was wrong.

Topcities gives you 150mb. for FREE.