Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Making 'Show Off Your Ride' Private

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I think it's also a good idea. perhaps make it so a user has to have a certain amount of posts to view that section of the forum too. this would weed out the lurkers that would just sign up to see user's cars.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Could really lock it down and make it only available to donating members.

$20 really isn't much to become a part of a fantastic forum.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Great idea Clair.
It would also help keep this great forum going.
I became a donating member because of all the help I got here.

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
Maybe have it as an option, if thats not what was being discussed, can't really tell if thats what you guys were saying but say for the mental builds you have to be donating member or have 200+ posts whereas if your car is a DD with plenty of others similar out there, you can put it in as anyone can see it :) my 2c

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Could really lock it down and make it only available to donating members.

It would work, but a few problems I see with that (being a devils advocate and all):

1. It's no longer a 'donation'. JC is now charging for a service of sorts, because if you want to post your ride, you have to pay to see the section you post it into. Besides potential tax and legal implications from what would be perceived as income, it leads into the next point....
2. The great thing about the Internet is the freedom of information and information sharing, that's what it was founded on. Pretty much all the best and biggest forums and information sharing sites are free, any information I've shared in my lifetime has ALWAYS been at no cost. Folk who run these sites may never have expected them to grow so much, but I doubt they went into these things as a business venture and in most cases wear the cost, but as JC does, seek voluntary donations where they can. To me you accept that cost wearing exercise and all that may come with it when you kick something like JC's off. Forcing a charge might not work positively to the image JC is trying to portray, ergo making it less of a fantastic forum, worst case, driving traffic away/down.
3. A quick glance of the member-list suggests only a tiny fraction of the community donates and there's 8,445 threads in the 'Post your Ride' forum. It would surely be a nightmare to deal with, if suddenly 90% of posters couldn't access their own thread.

Personally I'd consider a donation if it could be done anonymously (can it?), without some status attached, like a pat on the head, no offence to donating members intended.

IMO it would pay for JC (the board?) to be pragmatic and considered about a way forward.

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon

Something very constructive here Clair! Pay to See - I like this alot, may get me to do a my ride thread :)

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Maybe have it as an option, if thats not what was being discussed, can't really tell if thats what you guys were saying but say for the mental builds you have to be donating member or have 200+ posts whereas if your car is a DD with plenty of others similar out there, you can put it in as anyone can see it :) my 2c

Post count gets my vote

EmKa

Cupcake
Reaction score
Members Ride
El Falcon Futura S (shhhhh)
Agree with post count - though out of curiosity, would current members be exempt from that? Fair enough if they wouldn't, but as someone who's following a few threads of builds etc it would kinda suck to be cut off from those if you get what I mean?